Ramona is at its finest

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Openminded2

Ramona is at its finest

Post by Openminded2 » July 2nd, 2022, 9:13 pm

Yesterday we had a lovely hike to Ramona falls. The last bit of the dirt road before the trailhead parking still is a mess, potholes stretching over half the track. It is not getting any better. Some animal had made a real mess of the garbage can at the head of the parking, entering the trail, with fast foodwrappers just strewn everywhere.

It was a gorgeous blue sky day and the trail itself was in great shape. The river crossing as earlier trekkers have noted, was reasonable. In fact, I found it far easier with less side runoff streams than I’ve ever seen it (though I’ve never done Ramona so early in the summer). We had only one log to cross and it was quite sturdy. Most folks scooted across on their butts.

The falls was splendid and unbusy, we were spoiled.

The return trail along Ramona creek could not have looked more lovely. There was one spot where it seemed that hundreds, if not thousands of pine drops were popping up. (Pterospora).

The blowdown area of massive trees was well an awesome site, with so many trees uprooted.

Great day.

Thanks to whomever took care of the garbage at the trailhead.
It can’t be anything that a cup of tea won’t help

JBG

Re: Ramona is at its finest

Post by JBG » July 3rd, 2022, 2:36 pm

Sounds like a beautiful day. Probably won't make it there myself until it is noisy and crowded, so I'm a bit jealous.

jley

Post by jley » July 7th, 2022, 10:27 am

Is the bridge in over the river? or did you ford it? I haven't been up there in years, and see conflicting info if they're still installing the seasonal bridge.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 7th, 2022, 5:34 pm

jley wrote:
July 7th, 2022, 10:27 am
Is the bridge in over the river? or did you ford it? I haven't been up there in years, and see conflicting info if they're still installing the seasonal bridge.
They haven't done a bridge in close to a decade now, nor will they. Hence the info about the log crossing in the trip report.

jley

Post by jley » July 8th, 2022, 3:13 pm

squidvicious wrote:
July 7th, 2022, 5:34 pm
jley wrote:
July 7th, 2022, 10:27 am
They haven't done a bridge in close to a decade now, nor will they. Hence the info about the log crossing in the trip report.
Oh thanks - that's what I get for being tired & not reading closely. Appreciate your posting & reply!
Last time I was there, I was on the crew installing the bridge... who knows, maybe it was the last time they did it?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 8th, 2022, 4:43 pm

jley wrote:
July 8th, 2022, 3:13 pm

Last time I was there, I was on the crew installing the bridge... who knows, maybe it was the last time they did it?
A guy died in a flash flood in August 2014. After that, they stopped putting in the bridge.

jley

Post by jley » July 10th, 2022, 8:38 pm

adamschneider wrote:
July 8th, 2022, 4:43 pm
A guy died in a flash flood in August 2014. After that, they stopped putting in the bridge.
[/quote]

Interesting, I was well before that. Not sure why "not having a bridge" would be the response to that tragedy. Other than of course - I'm sure the bridge was destroyed as well. Anyway, just got back from there. We forded the river on the way in, as there was a line of people inching their way across the log & wanted to do a river ford anyway. It was about thigh-high, but brief. We took the log on the way back - good log.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 11th, 2022, 12:47 am

jley wrote:
July 10th, 2022, 8:38 pm
Interesting, I was well before that. Not sure why "not having a bridge" would be the response to that tragedy.
Just speculating, but I think taking out the bridge accomplishes two things: (1) Discourages novice hikers who maybe shouldn't be out in the wilderness, and (2) Prevents the USFS from being sued for having a crappy bridge. If you don't build any infrastructure, then you can't be blamed for its failure.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 11th, 2022, 5:54 am

I was there a few days ago.

I found the crossing to be more difficult than normal. I just walked across.

Yeah, I think they don't put in a bridge because of liability. I think there was a law suit over that death.

It's difficult to build a bridge there because there is a huge flow every once in a while. It washed out the car bridge a few years ago.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 14th, 2022, 10:25 am

jley wrote:
July 10th, 2022, 8:38 pm

Interesting, I was well before that. Not sure why "not having a bridge" would be the response to that tragedy. Other than of course - I'm sure the bridge was destroyed as well. Anyway, just got back from there. We forded the river on the way in, as there was a line of people inching their way across the log & wanted to do a river ford anyway. It was about thigh-high, but brief. We took the log on the way back - good log.
It actually was in court for a number of years and didn't get resolved until 2021 (unless it was taken further). The argument I believe was the suit argued that the argument was that the Forest Service had an implied responsibility for the safety of people who paid for the parking pass at the trailhead. To this date, I don't think this went past the appellate court. The plaintiff (the hiker's family) lost. I believe that the forest service chose not to invite further lawsuits by providing a primitive temporary crossing that was removed in the fall and replaced in the spring/summer season.

https://casetext.com/case/ludwig-v-united-states-11

If anyone understands differently, please correct me.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir