Skamania's Silver Star Summer Solstice Saturday Sunrise

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Skamania's Silver Star Summer Solstice Saturday Sunrise

Post by Chip Down » June 27th, 2022, 5:08 pm

If I had gone up the other side, my topic title could be Skamania's Silver Star Summer Solstice Saturday South Side Sunrise.

I had considered getting to the top for sunrise, but realized I didn't know how long the ascent would take, didn't want to arrive too early, so settled for sunrise along the way. Had I persisted in the summit sunrise plan, and if I went up the south side, my title could be Skamania's Silver Star Summer Solstice Saturday South Side Summit Sunrise

The route is well documented, but a few things worth noting:

Saturday was expected to be sweltering, so I set out early, starting up the notorious rd 4109 at 4:30am. I picked this route because it's uphill almost the whole way to the summit, so I could dawdle and explore my way up, and coast down on my bike as everybody else was trudging up in the heat.

Ascending that road on my bike, it didn't look that bad. Indeed, at the TH, there was a truck (which started up just before me) and a Honda CRV! On the way back, I saw an Element at the TH, confirming that indeed I could have driven. No regrets though, I do need the exercise, and it was a pleasant descent.

At the TH I was looking forward to seeing the barriers to keep degenerates from taking OHVs through the meadows. Sadly, no barrier! A couple pits that will deter most, but some are still getting through.

Above the start of Ed's trail, I was amazed at the downhill traffic. I can't fathom where all those people were going. Had there been a bus at the trailhead, I would surmise a bunch of folks had a summit party, and headed down at sunrise. Other than those folks, not as crowded as usual. In fact, I had the summit to myself.

The wind was absolutely ferocious. Although I've experienced stronger gusts, and stronger sustained wind at high altitude, this was the strongest sustained wind I've ever seen at a sub-alpine altitude. If my goal had been the top of Sturgeon Rock, I would have aborted. The road that stays mostly west of SS north ridge was tolerable, but on the ridgecrest it was a challenge to stand. I had planned to spend some time up there, maybe stroll the Bluff Mtn trail a ways, drink some beer, enjoy the warm day. But nope, that wind forced me down early.

The summit cross is gone.
Attachments
20220625_082542 - Copy.jpg
Yes, you can now get almost any modest SUV to the TH now.

12XU

Re: Skamania's Silver Star Summer Solstice Saturday Sunrise

Post by 12XU » July 2nd, 2022, 4:52 pm

Drove up today with my buddy in his full size pickup. While we did see a Subaru Crosstek and an Outback up there, the road is still in damn rough shape. I think this report is a little too optimistic about conditions. It would take some very hard driving to get a regular passenger vehicle up there. Other than that, conditions up there were great. We were mostly socked in, but enjoyed great wildflowers everywhere. Good day.