Larch > Franklin Ridge > Oneonta 2022/06/26

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
squidvicious

Larch > Franklin Ridge > Oneonta 2022/06/26

Post by squidvicious » June 26th, 2022, 5:05 pm

If you are looking to get up out of the heat a bit, away from crowds, but not burn too much gas, don't overlook your old friend Larch Mountain.

Some recent trail work has been done. The small trees that were down in the upper sections of Larch a week or so ago are now cleared. In fact, I encountered no blowdown at all the entire route. Larch between the two log bridges had been a bit messy in the spring, but that's cleared as well.

Now, I knew Franklin Ridge would be bad. Just maybe not quite how bad, or how quickly it turned that way. I hadn't even even gotten to the connector to Nesika Lodge and I was fighting my way through. It stayed like that a fair bit of the way. I was wearing shorts. Do not recommend. Fortunately I avoided some ankle-snapping holes camouflaged in the thick undergrowth.

Given how thick it was I at least found it surprisingly easy to stay on route. But I could definitely see someone who wasn't familiar and wasn't expecting anything so overgrown panicking and getting into trouble. Given the limited access to the area from the HCRH this summer it seems reasonable to think there's going to be people coming in from the top for the first time, and trying trails they've only seen on a map. Some trail work or at least boots on the ground could be a safety issue.

Once back in the trees the trail was lovely again. I really enjoy that section of Oneonta between Franklin Ridge and the Spur trail, and you almost always have it to yourself. And as before, at the junction with Bell Creek that trail was looking suspiciously open, despite what the FS page says. I think the next time I'm up here I'm going to have a little wander down that way. Or please post if you do.

I encountered two other parties on Larch, and just one on Oneonta. Definitely delivered on the "no crowds" on a beautiful weekend day.