Trinity Alps - Canyon Creek - 6/14/2022

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

Trinity Alps - Canyon Creek - 6/14/2022

Post by retired jerry » June 20th, 2022, 1:56 pm

I went up Canyon Creek for a few days.

Got as far as Boulder Lake. You can't quite see lake but it's a bit below the center of the picture:
20220615_133747.jpg
You drive west of Weaverville a few miles, then up a paved road a few miles to the trailhead. Maybe 50 cars at trailhead.

We camped at Ripstein Campground first night. Nice little campground. Not real busy. I think you could always find a spot to camp there or somewhere close by. 8 hours, 440 miles from Portland. Highway 3 from Yreka.

Then, it's up 8 miles and 2500 feet elevation gain to either Boulder Lake or Canyon Creek Lakes. Many more people at Canyon Creek Lakes. We went up to Boulder Lake. It was windy so we went back down to Canyon Creek to camp. "Hike high, camp low".

There are really nice camp spots all along. Some next to trail, some off a ways.

There was this sign at the trailhead:
20220614_103458.jpg
We thought this was propaganda to scare people into proper bear hygiene.

Some people at a camp spot said a bear went through and threatened them, but they shooed it off.

Someone else had their ursack ripped open and contents eaten:
ursack.jpg
Those ursacks are supposed to be bear proof, but now I'm not so sure.

The first night I hung my food 5 feet up and 5 feet from tree. The second night, after the bear stories, I did a regulation bear hang - 10 feet up and 5 feet from tree.

I'm still a bit skeptical about that sign - bear would rip up your gear just for fun :)

retired jerry

Re: Trinity Alps - Canyon Creek - 6/14/2022

Post by retired jerry » June 20th, 2022, 1:58 pm

At about 6 miles from trailhead you have to wade across Canyon Creek. Top of calf. Either Boulder Lake or Canyon Creek Lakes.

I walked across barefoot - the stream bed is rounded gravel and sand. A trekking pole or stick is handy to balance.