Portland Hiker Moved East

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
DannyH

Portland Hiker Moved East

Post by DannyH » June 18th, 2022, 7:16 pm

It's been just over a year since my wife's career took us from Portland to Johnson City, TN. I knew nothing about this part of the country but quickly discovered I could get to multiple Appalachian Trail trailheads in less than 30 minutes. What follows is a smattering of the hikes I've done through the past year. Nearly all of these are on the AT. While I miss the taller peaks and the winter snowpack; I appreciate uncrowded trails and plenty of parking spots at trailheads. I won't mention "humidity" in case it's listening and becomes angered. It's about a 2 hour drive to Smoky Mountains National Park where some of these photos are from, the rest are all less than an hours drive, some are right on the edge of town.

Reading trip reports has really helped me adjust to living out of the PNW for the first time at nearly age 40. Your posts are appreciated!
Roan Highlands - 1.png
AT at Roan Mountain over 6,000 ft. in elevation.
Nolichucky summer - 2.png
AT south of the Nolichuky in July.
Nolichucky winter - 10.png
Same place as the above photo, but in March.
Bays MT tower - 3.png
A CCC built fire tower in the city owned park at Bay's Mountain.
Laurel Falls - 4.png
Laurel Falls, on the AT.
Erwin - 5.png
Rocky ridge near the AT above Erwin.
Smokies - 6.png
Smokies -7.png
Smokies - 8 .png
We spent a couple days in Smoky Mountain National Park in early November.
Overmountain shelter - 9.png
Overmountain Shelter on the AT. Sadly no longer safe for hikers to camp in.
Beauty spot - 11 .png
Beauty Spot on at the AT
Pinacle MT Lookout- 12.png
Pinnacle Mountain Lookout. Very close to town.
MT Cammerer - 13.png
CCC Built Mount Cammerer Lookout in the Smokey Mountains.
Big Bald - 14.png
Big Bald on the AT, early June.
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Bosterson

Re: Portland Hiker Moved East

Post by Bosterson » June 18th, 2022, 7:35 pm

Hey Danny, cool to see what it looks like over there. Very different from the PNW but very beautiful. :)
DannyH wrote:
June 18th, 2022, 7:16 pm
I won't mention "humidity" in case it's listening and becomes angered.
:lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Beargrass

Post by Beargrass » June 20th, 2022, 7:57 am

This is great to see. I did some backpacking in North Carolina about 10 years ago and it was WAY cooler than I expected. The hardwood forest and the exquisite sculpted rock formations and streams really impressed me. I was wondering if hiking was catching on out there, so cool you confirmed the trailheads are empty. I’ve thought about moving over there honestly. Affordable housing and no hiking crowds sounds pretty good. I just wonder about the ticks.

wnshall

Post by wnshall » June 20th, 2022, 3:29 pm

Thanks for your post. Having grown up in New England, I enjoyed your photos of the Appalachians. There's a subtle beauty in the well-worn landscape that is quite different from the young and raw Cascades.
I appreciate uncrowded trails and plenty of parking spots at trailheads
This is quite different from New England, at least northern NE. In central NH there's a small rocky peak overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee called Mt. Major. It's similar to Angel's Rest in length and character, and local popularity. It has a huge parking lot -- probably 3 times larger than the Angel's Rest lots (main and overflow) combined, and on summer weekends it's completely full. I'm sure there are trails you can choose to find solitude, but hiking is definitely pretty popular out there.

Ian Saylor

Post by Ian Saylor » August 7th, 2022, 1:35 pm

I’m a native Oregonian who moved to Tennessee awhile back. I’m not as far as East as you, rather in middle Tennessee, south of Nashville . Anyway, looks like you found some of the good spots! Be sure to check out the Mt. Rogers area also if you haven’t already.