Grassy Knoll and attempt at Big Huckleberry, 6/8/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxalex

Grassy Knoll and attempt at Big Huckleberry, 6/8/22

Post by pdxalex » June 9th, 2022, 7:30 am

I decided to take the day off to go for a hike. I opted to try for Big Huckleberry from the Grassy Knoll trailhead. The weather forecast was not exactly balmy but I assumed that there would be some flowers out. I hit the trailhead at 0815. The car said it was 54 degrees but the stiff breeze made it feel a bit colder. Cloud level was probably around 5000'. My car was the only one at the TH. There was one other when I left in the afternoon, accounting for the 2 people I met as I descended.

Trail conditions: Pretty good. There are a few blowdowns on the way to the knoll, including one as you enter the trees at the trailhead, but they are easy to step over or around. There's a bit of brush on the trail above the knoll, particularly after Cold Spring Camp. The trail is completely buried in 1-2' of snow starting around 3850'. I kept at it for about a hundred yards but finally turned back, probably a quarter mile from the PCT, because I was tired of slipping and sliding and having to constantly check my map. Oh well, another time.
9.jpg
Flowers: There was a pretty good range of flowers although it was fairly modest at the knoll. Balsam root is just on the edge of blooming. There is a little paintbrush but not much. Daffodils by the remains of the fire tower put on the best display. However, in the forest, there was a profusion of trillium. Above the knoll, almost every meadow was filled with glacier lilies and western spring beauties (I think). Nothing has bloomed yet above Cold Spring camp. A selection of photos is at the end.

Mushrooms: Orange peel fungus seemed to be everywhere. I came across several huge (the size of a 16 oz beer can) snow bank morels. In the forest Big Huckleberry, white alpine waxy caps seemed to be everywhere.
12.jpg
5.jpg
Bears: They are around. I surprised one near the rocky overlook on the way up to the knoll. It was close, maybe 40 feet up the trail from me. I was moving pretty slowly and quietly looking at flowers and didn't realize it was there until I caught it in my peripheral vision as it turned and bolted into the brush crashing down the draw. Above the knoll, I saw 4 piles of relatively fresh bear scat on the trail. After the first one, I started smacking my poles together and talking whenever I encountered brushy sections of the trail. I scared away another large animal based on the racket it made as it tore off through the brush.

Views: Considering the cloud cover, there wasn't much. The clouds to the east dissipated in the afternoon and Mt. Adams was visible.
14.jpg
4.jpg
16.jpg
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
13.jpg
15.jpg

greglief

Re: Grassy Knoll and attempt at Big Huckleberry, 6/8/22

Post by greglief » June 10th, 2022, 10:08 am

Thank you very much for the report and photos!
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

maryannpdx

Post by maryannpdx » June 12th, 2022, 12:15 pm

How was the drive to the trailhead?
MaryannPDX

pdxalex

Post by pdxalex » June 13th, 2022, 6:14 am

maryannpdx wrote:
June 12th, 2022, 12:15 pm
How was the drive to the trailhead?
I drove the length of forest road 68, in from Carson and out through Willard. I thought it was in pretty decent shape. There are potholes but nothing horrible, just slow down for them. A 2WD car can easily get to the trailhead. There are trees down on the road, much worse on the route to Willard than from Carson, but enough has been removed that you can drive by them. But, the trees were not completely removed so a couple of stretches feel like a slalom course.