Trapper Creek 5/28/22

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
wnshall

Trapper Creek 5/28/22

Post by wnshall » June 8th, 2022, 12:45 pm

Trapper Creek Wilderness 5/31/22

I hiked the Trapper Creek Wilderness Loop for the first time last week, and it didn't disappoint.
The first 4 miles are nearly flat, climbing about 700' through beautiful old forest.
IMG_3727.jpeg
Forest
IMG_3729.jpeg
Nurse tree
IMG_3730.jpeg
Trillium
IMG_3741.jpeg
creek
You see some evidence of the Big Hollow fire that went through in 2020. From what I saw on the ground, and the view from the peak, this fire appears to have been a classic mosaic fire, burning patches here and there. You can see in the photos there are burned trees next to green ones. (There are of course other places, especially on Howe Ridge, where the fire burned all the trees in large patches.)
IMG_3734.jpeg
Burned trees
IMG_3739.jpeg
Burned trees
The trail seems to have been recently maintained, and there are some impressive bits of engineering along the way.
IMG_3736.jpeg
Trail improvements
IMG_3750.jpeg
Staircase
The first couple of miles had been mostly cleared of downed trees -- thanks Don, and everyone else! Here's the large tree that Don made one cut in:
IMG_3723.jpeg
Don's cut log
But after that there's still a lot of tree fall across the trail. Most of it is easily navigated, but it does get tiresome by the end of the day.
IMG_3761.jpeg
Tree across trail, Howe Ridge
Impressive upended tree -- at least this one didn't fall across the trail:
IMG_3724.jpeg
Upended tree
Trapper Creek Falls are impressive, even viewed from a distance:
IMG_3747.jpeg
Trapper Creek Falls
Just about at the top of the many switchbacks, at about 3200', I hit snow, which I hadn't expected. I forgot how much farther north I was. The sunny warm spring day suddenly reverted to a mid-winter feel, especially when the sun went behind one of the many puffy clouds in the sky.
IMG_3751.jpeg
snow!
I did my best to follow the approximate trail to the saddle and junction with the Observation Peak Trail, where I found footprints in the snow. Along the trail to the peak I passed the a pair of hikers and their dog, surprised to see other hikers foolish enough to hike to the peak in the snow!

The upper slopes had much less snow than down in the bowl, and the exposed parts of the summit were completely bare, and covered in flowers, including glacier lillies (or are they avalanche lillies? I can never keep them straight).
IMG_3753.jpeg
Glacier Lillies
I bushwhacked from Observation Peak down to the Observation trail, and headed back to the trail head. From the peak the trail was almost entirely snow-free.

Saw these mushrooms in one of the burned areas:
IMG_3760.jpeg
Mushrooms
Looking forward to returning when it's snow-free.

drm

Re: Trapper Creek 5/28/22

Post by drm » June 10th, 2022, 6:33 am

That area where you hit snow is called The Rim and it normally melts out some time in June. This year late June I guess.

Charley

Re: Trapper Creek 5/28/22

Post by Charley » June 10th, 2022, 12:17 pm

wnshall wrote:
June 8th, 2022, 12:45 pm
Along the trail to the peak I passed the a pair of hikers and their dog, surprised to see other hikers foolish enough to hike to the peak in the snow!
That was me and my friend! It was actually a really fun day, in spite of the snow. I find that hiking on snow isn't bad, as long as the goal is a summit with a view.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.