rogue river may 2022

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
retired jerry

rogue river may 2022

Post by retired jerry » May 30th, 2022, 12:17 pm

I did the first 18 miles of the Rogue River Trail from Graves Creek

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... r_Hike[img][/img]

The trail goes along the Rogue River, sometimes next to it and sometimes a few hundred feet above.

I have never been here this late in the season. It was hot but not too bad. Quite a few people. In the winter, when I get to a favorite site, it's probably vacant. In May, everything's occupied. One night a couple groups camped nearby. Other nights I found something more solitude. There was Poison Oak everywhere - "three leaves let it be".

Lots of boats on the river:
20220523_121821[1].jpg
A tick bit my leg. I removed with tick twister
20220529_094121.jpg
There was a rattlesnake on the trail. It slithered off, then shaked it's rattle at me:
20220525_135037.jpg

retired jerry

Re: rogue river may 2022

Post by retired jerry » May 30th, 2022, 12:28 pm

I treated my gaiters with permethrin a while ago, probably not good enough

I have just treated them again. And my pants and the bottom of my shirt. Maybe the next time a tick will stay off me.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 1st, 2022, 1:57 pm

the wise wife convinced me to go to urgent care

they said I had a Erythema migrans rash (as in picture above)

best to take course of doxycycline

if you don't treat Lyme disease, you can get weird symptoms like neural conditions, swollen joints,... Better to take doxycycline just in case

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 1st, 2022, 3:05 pm

Lyme is indeed a very bad news virus. You don't mess around with it; you treat it as quickly as possible.

cmbaker91

Post by cmbaker91 » May 4th, 2023, 1:10 pm

Jerry - I know this hike is an annual tradition for you so curious to know if you've ever had problems parking on the road across the river and south of Graves Creek? I'm planning to go down next week for the first time and called BLM for latest trail conditions, etc. and was told - in no uncertain terms - not to park along the road because of the risk of car vandalism/theft. Has this ever been an issue for you?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 4th, 2023, 2:02 pm

I've always parked down below next to the boat ramp. But it's in the winter when there aren't very many people. They may not want you to park there now when there are more boaters. I've never been vandalized or seen broken glass or anything.

I did park once, up above, on the other side of the bridge and was not vandalized, but it seemed maybe more likely. There was a "no parking" sign down below.

My last trip I parked at what google maps calls "whiskey creek campground". Several miles on gravel roads. The last mile is on a very narrow dirt road. There's a locked gate, then walk down 1/2 mile to Whiskey Creek cabin, another 1/2 mile to the Rogue River Trail. About 3 miles from Graves Creek trailhead. This is so obscure maybe less likely to get broken into. That first 3 miles of the Rogue River trail is pretty spectacular though so it's a shame to miss it.

I'd just ignore the negative energy from the BLM and park wherever. Don't leave anything visible in your car when parked. If something bad happens then just deal with it.

When I was there several months ago the road was blocked by a landslide. If you drive from Merlin you'll be blocked. It's okay if you drive from Wolf Creek - that's closer anyway. This is probably fixed by now.

bghiker

Post by bghiker » May 5th, 2023, 7:14 am

Just so you guys know...The Rogue River Trail is closed at mile 21.5 due to a landslide...https://www.blm.gov/visit/rogue-river-n ... tion-trail