Gales Creek, May 25, 2022

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
leiavoia

Gales Creek, May 25, 2022

Post by leiavoia » May 26th, 2022, 8:39 pm

There isn't much posted about Gales Creek or its backpacking potential, so i thought i would chip in.

Gales Creek Trail is a 6.6 mile trek one way up Gales Creek, starting from the trailhead off Highway 6, West of Banks. It goes up to the Bell Camp Trailhead at the top of the hill. Elevation gain is about 1200ft, give or take. Open most of the year, but gate to the trail may be closed at the highway in winter or during snow. It's an attractive option for Portlanders and West-Siders because it's one of the closest low-elevation hikes that offers a reasonable degree of exercise, especially for flabby, winterized bodies.

Backpacking Info: The guidebooks says it is "backpackable: yes" but gives no further details. No one else seemed to know either, so i went and checked it out myself. There are two or three broad areas along the creek bottom that are flat, green, and tentable IF you can get across the creek at any point. That might require a steep decent and wet crossing, but should be doable for most people except small children. About 5 miles from the bottom trailhead, there is a flat area where the trail switchbacks, but the old trail continues into a little oasis gulch with water access. Tent campers can fit two and maybe three tents along the old roadbed near the trail. Other people clearly have in the past. Hammock campers can go past this point and have several amazing spots in the oasis. Hammock campers can also disappear into the forest between miles 4-5 anywhere you can find a reasonably flat spot with two trees. None of these options are what i would call "good campsites". Probably not the best intro to backpacking, but they are serviceable for people that know how to makeshift / stealth camp and just want an easy hike close to town.

Round Trip: ~13 miles.

Elevation: 1,000ft up to 2,200ft

Trail condition: Excellent. Well-stomped. No blowdown. No overgrowth. No disrepair.

Scenery: Its a dense forest hike that follows a creek the entire way. There are no expansive views, lakes, or major points of interest. In Spring, there are many small waterfalls and trickles along the trail.

Weather: ~50F overnight, ~70F daytime. Slightly drippy on day 1. Sunny and warm on day 2.

People: Saw no people on trail Tuesday, one trailrunner and two day hikers on Wednesday.

Wildlife: Chipmunk, Douglas Squirrels, Grouse (always heard but never seen), and literal thousands of black yellow-spotted millipedes.

Flowers: Carpets of bleeding hearts and flowering redwood sorrel, candyflower, fairy slippers, fairy bells, Corydalis, salmonberry flowers.

Verdict: Kinda ho-hum, but thats what i was expecting. Nice to just be outside sometimes and not have to drive 3 hours to do it. Good running and biking trail if you do those things.
IMG_2897.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG
IMG_3016.JPG