West Green Mountain Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jvangeld

Re: West Green Mountain Trail

Post by jvangeld » August 12th, 2022, 9:56 am

There is talk of a big work party with pizza that might be planned for August 20th. The GMTC folks would like to make a lot of progress before the rains start this fall. If this plan solidifies, I will post the details here.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

TonyVelasco

Post by TonyVelasco » May 5th, 2023, 10:00 pm

West End Trail was in great shape today. Rain has set in tonight, so could be a bit wet tomorrow, but overall the trail does well in the rain now that we have mitigated the muddiest spots where a lot of ground water would spring out of the hill from under large boulders and such.

Was beautiful out there today with falling pink petals on the trail in several long stretches, and the maple trees are really starting to fill out.

We planted 3 new cedar trees today in a damp area near a low volume year round creek and the associated seeps/springs that leave the area damp year round, even in drought.

We planted 1 Fir as well, in dryer soil just up the trail from the Cedars. We have 3 more Firs to plant yet in the next week.

The trail is well signed and maintained, with constant improvements as we see how it weathers through the seasons. Spectacular massive boulders, a long cliffline, and a great view of Mt Hood on sunny days are all big features along the trail, along with a mature, beatiful mixed fir, pine, cedar, maple, and other native tree forest.

Big changes coming to the stretch that currently goes past the fenced in pump station and then up a very steep, slick slope.

That portion of the trail will be closed because we are just nearing the completion of a better route up that portion of the mountain. If you would like to help, let me know, as with a weeks good work, we can get the new section completed!

If you haven't been on the trail, or not recently, it's a good time to get out there and check it out!

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » May 8th, 2023, 1:58 pm

Welcome to Oregon Hikers, Tony! It is high time for me to get out there again.

TonyVelasco

Post by TonyVelasco » May 12th, 2023, 7:26 pm

jvangeld wrote:
May 8th, 2023, 1:58 pm
Welcome to Oregon Hikers, Tony! It is high time for me to get out there again.
Please do get out there and check out all the improvements! Signage, trail grade and build, and a better route up for all hikers!

Wondering the best way to get All Trails to update the route and description, any ideas Jeremy?

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » May 15th, 2023, 11:07 am

It looks like you got AllTrails to update their map pretty well. I updated the trail on OpenStreetMaps just now. But it is approximate. If you were to send a picture of your GPS tracks like the one in the pinned post on NextDoor I could make it really nice.