Lost Corral Trail - Cottonwood Canyon - 3-31-2022

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arieshiker

Lost Corral Trail - Cottonwood Canyon - 3-31-2022

Post by arieshiker » April 3rd, 2022, 9:59 am

To close out March, and my return from foot issues, I traveled down to Cottonwood Canyon to do the Lost Corral Trail, again.

This was my 12th LCT hike, so I’ve gotten to know the trail pretty well. Like many trails, most stretches never change, while others look different over time. Some changes are subtle, others pretty remarkable. Probably the most fascinating change on this trail has been the beaver dam constructed during this past winter’s low water mark.

I first saw the dam last November when it was pretty much completed across a side channel in the river. When I went back Thursday, the river was running very high and the dam was under water. Photo from both times are included.

The trail is in good shape with the only complaint being the occasional ruts from the vehicles going back and forth, such as that’s an actual complaint.

I went the distance out to the corral for the first time in a few years and was disappointed more work hadn’t been done to make it a place to stop for lunch before turning around. No benches or user-friendly tables. Some overnight hikers seem to have made an attempt at cozying up the spot a bit, however, with little to work with - - not so much.

The cliff swallows weren’t in the cliffs yet and with only a few river birds present, there was minimum creature noise.

I got on trail about 8AM. It was chilly with a slight breeze and sunny skies. As the day progressed there were occasional gusts and it stayed chilly, except when the breeze slacked, which was seldom.

The campground was busier than I expected, although it seldom seems like very many campers come over to do the LCT, or maybe they get it done before I show up? The Pinnacles Trail seems to be the campers choice, even though it’s closed after 2.5 miles for eagle nesting for most of the spring and summer months.

The scenery never ceases to amaze. Canyons just seem to be like that. Lighting, shadows, color, even on a single out and back, what you see going out seldom appears the same when you pass going back.

I’ve not seen any of the bighorn sheep on the LCT, however, birds are usually plentiful and a few river otters come out to puzzle over the two-leggeds, and now we have beaver building dams. I’m looking forward to what the next 12 hikes show me.
Attachments
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (1).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (4).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (7).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (11).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (15).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (21).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (23).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (25).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (27).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (29).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (30).JPG
LostCiorralTrail-3-31-2022 (36).JPG
NewBeaverDam-11-2021.JPG
NewBeaverDamUnderwater-3-31-2022.JPG

bobcat

Re: Lost Corral Trail - Cottonwood Canyon - 3-31-2022

Post by bobcat » April 5th, 2022, 5:33 pm

A nice lonely stroll with different scenery. I've done it by bike and then hiked up into the hills around on foot. Blew a tire on puncture vine on the way back.

Pick-a-Pika

Post by Pick-a-Pika » April 6th, 2022, 11:52 am

I've seen bighorns on the Pinnacles side of the river. I wonder what usage will be like now that the campground is on the reservation system.How were the flowers?

Here's to happy feet, arieshiker.

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » April 9th, 2022, 5:57 am

Thanks Pika. The park seems to be increasing in usage by the RV/motor home crowd, so...? Hard to say about usage over time. Up to this point, from what I've experienced, few of the "campers" head over to try the Lost Corral Trail and stay local to Pinnacles. Obviously they're there longer than my one day appearances so - who knows? Not many wildflowers on the LCT that I've seen. Only a few of my more than a dozen hikes along Pinnacles has displayed much in the way of flowers. Up in the higher hills perhaps? Bobcat might have some data on that. The bighorns are always a treat, however, the only wildlife I've spotted on OCT has been river otters.