Eagle Creek - 3-24-2022

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arieshiker

Eagle Creek - 3-24-2022

Post by arieshiker » March 29th, 2022, 6:02 pm

Finally got some lower leg injuries healed and found a day to try Eagle Creek for the first time since the fire. Thursday, 3/24, was chilly when I hit the trail at 7:45, but the forecast was for partly sunny - it turned out the partly never showed up; the sunny blazed away around 10:30 and with less cover, it didn't take long to heat up.

The trail was pretty amazing, considering, even though I had no real expectations. I knew it was open and passable, but no clue as to various sections.

Having not really tested my foot since being cleared, I had sights on High Bridge at least, but turned around about 50 yards short due to traffic and feeling the rocky tread on my feet after three hours.

Starting out I had the trail mostly to myself for the first half mile, then people started passing me. I was hiking slow, taking in the sights and taking way too many photos.

Seems as if maybe ten people passed me going out - while coming back I encountered maybe 80+? And a dozen or more dogs, almost all leashed, which was good to see. Even trail etiquette was better than pre-fire.

Some of the trail repairs were amazing. Having done trail repair in my younger days, I know a bit of what goes into it, and some of these repairs were very high quality - and not easily done. All who worked these things out have much to be proud of and be thanked for doing.

Seeing the washout repairs and blow down removals first-hand just validates the powers of the human spirit. The power of nature hardly needs comment.

I had forgotten that most of the elevation gain to High Bridge came early, so having taken on Eagle Creek before getting my legs in better shape had me humbled. Before the fire, I had numerous Eagle Creek hikes - as far as 7½ mile camp, with little difficulty. Thursday, Eagle Creek’s first three miles kicked my butt.

I’ll go back when I feel ready to get to High Bridge, and beyond. Knowing what I’ll be facing never hurts. It was just good to be out there. Some new waterfalls were a treat, even they turn out to be merely seasonal.

Took numerous photos, as always, but given the trail’s popularity I’ll just share the few that struck me as most significant.
Attachments
EagleCreek-2022 (2).JPG
EagleCreek-2022 (25).JPG
EagleCreek-2022 (28).JPG
EagleCreek-2022 (40).JPG
EagleCreek-2022 (51).JPG
EagleCreek-2022 (60).JPG
EagleCreek-2022 (65).JPG
EagleCreek-2022 (87).JPG
EagleCreek-2022 (98).JPG

squidvicious

Re: Eagle Creek - 3-24-2022

Post by squidvicious » March 30th, 2022, 2:16 pm

Thanks for the report. I'm dismayed to see you were encountering so many people on a Thursday morning, as I was contemplating heading there tomorrow. But I think last week was spring break, so maybe that was a factor.

arieshiker

Re: Eagle Creek - 3-24-2022

Post by arieshiker » April 1st, 2022, 1:50 am

I was a bit surprised so many passed me so early, but the afternoon blitz wasn't so surprising. The numbers I expressed didn't include trail runners, of which there was at least half dozen. In all the times I've hiked there, the afternoon return has been my least favorite part, however, this trip saw a lot more cooperation in tight spots. One of the reasons I hit the trail so early is to avoid that afternoon "rush hour" stuff, even knowing that its likely to be like on the return. No doubt as the weather warms up it'll be back to madness. Still, it's good to see people out there.