Boy Scout Ridge 2022/01/08

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rubiks

Boy Scout Ridge 2022/01/08

Post by rubiks » January 12th, 2022, 8:36 pm

Photo of the Day:
DSC07419.JPG
Clouds parted from the lower viewpoint

Finally got out for the opening hike of the year, and this one set the bar high. Sunday looked like the obviously the better day for weather, but I had plans and had to settle for Saturday. We wanted something straightforward that would still have some scenery even if we didn't get clear skies, so a Boy Scout Ridge snowshoe was it.

We got a late start, and didn't pull into the White River SnoPark until a bit before 9am. There were maybe a half dozen cars already. We parked and headed up, with a low cloud ceiling that we figured might clear if we stayed out long enough. There were a handful of ski and snowshoe tracks, enough to show the route but we still had to work a little bit. We started getting some sun breaks after maybe half an hour, and the clouds really began to clear right as we got to the lower viewpoint.
DSC07353.JPG
Clouds parting from the lower viewpoint

We waited around for a bit as the skies turned totally blue. See Photo of the Day. A few skiers and splitboarders were having a good time coming down the ridge. We had some snacks, and that got the gray jays pretty interested in us.
DSC07446.JPG
One of many gray jays surveying the situation

Continuing up the ridge, we continued to have great views of the mountain and surrounding scenery.
DSC07489.JPG
Mt. Hood from Boy Scout Ridge

Lots of pretty, untouched snow and interesting snow/ice formations on the trees.
DSC07494.JPG
Cold-looking tree on Boy Scout Ridge

The cloud layer to the south was very stubborn, so we never got the great views down to Mt. Jefferson or beyond. But the clouds stayed south of 35, so we at least had a sweeping panorama of Boy Scout Ridge and down into the White River Canyon.
DSC07536.JPG
Retracing our steps from the turnaround point

Getting back down was a snap. Unsurprisingly the SnoPark was packed when we returned to the car around 2pm.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

bobcat

Re: Boy Scout Ridge 2022/01/08

Post by bobcat » January 13th, 2022, 4:46 pm

Looks like a lovely day. Very pristine!

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » January 14th, 2022, 8:45 am

I did a loop version of this hike about a year ago. It was a nice sunny day with about 9 in of new snow from a couple of days earlier. I had low expectations but found it a thrill.

A crew was working on the powerline corridor and left a nice fresh snowcat track to follow for about 100 yards. It appeared to end at a trail junction marked by blue cross country ski trail diamonds. Past that, I could barely make out ski tracks only occasionally. I followed the diamonds to the PCT and went north and eventually the diamonds ended, which seemed strange. I'd never seen a cross country ski trail dead-end like that. I had my GPS and roughly found my way north to the PCT/Timberline (#600) trail, a great viewpoint. I returned along the White River valley.

Capture.JPG
GPS track

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » January 14th, 2022, 6:54 pm

A bluebird day. Just beautiful.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Alpenglow18

Post by Alpenglow18 » January 15th, 2022, 4:23 pm

With the good weather able to get by on trail with just spikes or snowshoes a must still? Thx

rubiks

Post by rubiks » January 15th, 2022, 5:37 pm

Alpenglow18 wrote:
January 15th, 2022, 4:23 pm
With the good weather able to get by on trail with just spikes or snowshoes a must still? Thx
Last weekend, snowshoes were a must. Even close to the trailhead where most of the foot traffic was, there were still spots where people had postholed a couple feet. Of course, there were plenty of folks without snowshoes who didn't go far and just dealt with it.

This weekend, if I were going back I'd bring showshoes.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

laritabrand

Post by laritabrand » January 20th, 2022, 8:31 pm

Nice report and really great photos! Thanks for posting!
slope game make the ball bounce left or right

Charley

Post by Charley » January 20th, 2022, 10:36 pm

johnspeth wrote:
January 14th, 2022, 8:45 am
I followed the diamonds to the PCT and went north and eventually the diamonds ended, which seemed strange. I'd never seen a cross country ski trail dead-end like that.
Lucky guy! My ski buddy and I are old hands at trying to find cut logs, downed trees with diamonds, and old, melted out ski tracks. We get lost on poorly-marked trails all the time, but that's part of the fun of it all.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.