Triple Falls on a snowy day

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Triple Falls on a snowy day

Post by Don Nelsen » December 31st, 2021, 12:38 pm

I checked the gorge weather when I headed out Wednesday and it looked very inviting for a short hike: 25 degrees and hardly any wind. By the time I got to the Triple Falls TH a little west of Oneonta Gorge the slightly optimistic thermometer on the car said 28 degrees. Perfect.

Archer Mt. as I passed by:
IMG_4327.JPG
I'd forgotten how rocky this trail was and perhaps a little more so due to the fire. A couple of inches of snow cushioned the trial nicely though, so the roughness was hardly noticeable. There was about 4 or 5 inches at the most as I climbed higher into the canyon.

It looks like the western section of the falls is mostly blocked by small logs and limbs that have gotten stuck under the big diagonal log. I cleared most of that out years ago, but it looks like another mission will have to be mounted to clear it out again. When it gets much warmer, though!
IMG_4338.JPG
It's been just cold enough for a nice assortment of icicles to form on the cliffs:
IMG_4329.JPG
IMG_4339.JPG
The new bridge is very nice and sturdy:
IMG_4333.JPG
The trail appears open above the bridge, but the snow starts to get deeper. Looks like a lot of serious work went in to clearing out the fallen trees:
IMG_4335.JPG
I saw about a dozen folks on the trail and nine or ten lucky dogs:
IMG_4336.JPG
By going a little past the bridge, I recorded 3.7 miles for the hike and about 700' EG. Hike #110 for the year.

A couple more photos:
IMG_4331.JPG
IMG_4328.JPG
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

squidvicious

Re: Triple Falls on a snowy day

Post by squidvicious » December 31st, 2021, 3:52 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
December 31st, 2021, 12:38 pm
The trail appears open above the bridge, but the snow starts to get deeper. Looks like a lot of serious work went in to clearing out the fallen trees
I went as far as the next bridge. I don't think there weren't any big trees down, at least that I can recall, but there was a lot of debris on the trail. Not for the first time I thought that I really ought to pack a folding saw, as it would have helped a lot in a couple spots.

And actually I do now remember one tree down, almost at my turnaround and pretty much where the pre-fire washout was. An annoying tree down steeply across / through the trail. Passable, if a bit awkward. That section can't catch a break it seems.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 31st, 2021, 5:25 pm

squidvicious wrote:
December 31st, 2021, 3:52 pm

I went as far as the next bridge. I don't think there weren't any big trees down, at least that I can recall, but there was a lot of debris on the trail. Not for the first time I thought that I really ought to pack a folding saw, as it would have helped a lot in a couple spots.

And actually I do now remember one tree down, almost at my turnaround and pretty much where the pre-fire washout was. An annoying tree down steeply across / through the trail. Passable, if a bit awkward. That section can't catch a break it seems.
Thanks for mentioning the trees: I should add that before the first bridge there are four or five trees down diagonally across the trail that must be ducked under or stepped over. Also, a couple of small ones down near the start of the trail. Not really a problem, though.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » January 1st, 2022, 2:34 pm

Congrats on 110 for the year Don. Nice way to close it out to boot. Certainly looks different back in there.

Sparx455

Post by Sparx455 » January 1st, 2022, 2:45 pm

Thanks for sharing. This is the TH between Oneota and Horsetail correct? I’m glad to see it’s open. I thought Since HT stopped after the falls that everything else was closed. Can you confirm TH location? Thanks!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 1st, 2022, 2:50 pm

Sparx455 wrote:
January 1st, 2022, 2:45 pm
Thanks for sharing. This is the TH between Oneota and Horsetail correct? I’m glad to see it’s open. I thought Since HT stopped after the falls that everything else was closed. Can you confirm TH location? Thanks!
It's the TH about 700 or 800 feet west of Oneonta. I saw hikers on the section between Horsetail Falls and the Triple Falls trail so that seems to be open too.

dn
Last edited by Don Nelsen on January 3rd, 2022, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mountainkat

Post by mountainkat » January 1st, 2022, 10:01 pm

Don, you stepped aside to allow my friend and I to pass as you were walking down and we were walking up. After a couple of minutes, it hit me that it was you. Thanks for the nice writeup and photos.

Since everyone is mentioning tree fall -- shortly after the trail re-opened and before the snowfall, I hiked from the Horsetail Falls TH, to Oneonta and up to Franklin Ridge, then down through Multnomah to loop back. Up on the top of Franklin Ridge in the burn sort of where it is flat, there are a number of trees down. Otherwise, I don't recall trees down other than noted here.

It was such a pleasant surprise to find so many live trees seemingly unaffected by the burn as you go further up Oneonta past Triple Falls. I'm so happy Oneonta trail is fully reopened. Also, I'm really hopeful that the Horsetail Creek trail isn't too bad, although it's still closed and we need to wait to see that one.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » January 2nd, 2022, 12:45 pm

mountainkat wrote:
January 1st, 2022, 10:01 pm
Since everyone is mentioning tree fall -- shortly after the trail re-opened and before the snowfall, I hiked from the Horsetail Falls TH, to Oneonta and up to Franklin Ridge, then down through Multnomah to loop back. Up on the top of Franklin Ridge in the burn sort of where it is flat, there are a number of trees down. Otherwise, I don't recall trees down other than noted here.
Thank you for this, I was wanting some current into on conditions on that loop.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 4th, 2022, 8:46 pm

Thanks for posting, Don! This was a TKO project over the past year+ and officially reopened about three weeks ago. Many volunteer outings to put the trail back together! I haven't worked on this project, but I do believe TKO crews have logged out and repaired the trail beyond the new bridge at Triple Falls, as well. But it's an ongoing effort while the forest recovers in the Gorge. We are already re-doing trail sections that were cleared in 2018, but have since had more debris come down... I'll be curious to see what the big melt this week brings down those Gorge canyons..! :?

-Tom

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 5th, 2022, 8:22 am

mountainkat wrote:
January 1st, 2022, 10:01 pm
Don, you stepped aside to allow my friend and I to pass as you were walking down and we were walking up. After a couple of minutes, it hit me that it was you. Thanks for the nice writeup and photos.
Hi Kathy,

Sorry I didn't recognize you right away! I remember stepping aside for you and your friend but must have been paying more attention to my footing on that narrow trail. That's at least three times we've bumped into one another on the trail.

dn