Triple Falls on a snowy day

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Re: Triple Falls on a snowy day

Post by Don Nelsen » January 5th, 2022, 8:24 am

Splintercat wrote:
January 4th, 2022, 8:46 pm
Thanks for posting, Don! This was a TKO project over the past year+ and officially reopened about three weeks ago. Many volunteer outings to put the trail back together! I haven't worked on this project, but I do believe TKO crews have logged out and repaired the trail beyond the new bridge at Triple Falls, as well. But it's an ongoing effort while the forest recovers in the Gorge. We are already re-doing trail sections that were cleared in 2018, but have since had more debris come down... I'll be curious to see what the big melt this week brings down those Gorge canyons..! :?

-Tom
Hi Tom. Thanks for all the efforts and glad to hear the trail work is continuing.
Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

trip_with_hari

Post by trip_with_hari » January 10th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Is the Oneneta Gorge open? Can we visit till the lower falls?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 10th, 2022, 9:32 pm

trip_with_hari wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 8:04 pm
Is the Oneneta Gorge open? Can we visit till the lower falls?
No. Still closed. Water is too high this time of year anyway.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 13th, 2022, 4:44 pm

Hiked to Triple Falls yesterday (the 12th). The snow is all gone. There was a lot of debris on the trail, including lots of rocks, big branches, and maybe four or five trees down but easily negotiable. I threw a lot of the debris off coming and going. There were several slides, with two major ones. The first is near the beginning of the Oneonta Trail and you revisit it switching back on the 400. The second is a trail wipeout above the junction with the Horsetail Falls Trail. I should also note there's a new wilderness permit box and wilderness sign in place above that junction.
Triple Falls and bridge above, Oneonta Trail.jpg
Post-fire, you get a look at the top of Oneonta Falls from the trail where it spouts into its amphitheater. I would have gone farther up the creek but I also wanted to go to Wauna Viewpoint, where there was snow from the parking lot at Eagle Creek (almost a foot) all the way to the top!
Top of Oneonta Falls, Oneonta Trail.jpg

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 13th, 2022, 5:10 pm

Thanks for the update. Nice that the west side of the falls is flowing better. Interesting that the snow is gone from Triple Falls but still there only 8 miles farther east at Eagle Creek. The intricacies of the gorge weather always fascinates me.

dn

rubiks

Post by rubiks » January 13th, 2022, 8:33 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 5:10 pm
Thanks for the update. Nice that the west side of the falls is flowing better. Interesting that the snow is gone from Triple Falls but still there only 8 miles farther east at Eagle Creek. The intricacies of the gorge weather always fascinates me.

dn
I haven't been out into the gorge since December, and it's been difficult trying to guess what the snow conditions might be like on different trails. Seems like east = snowy and west = clear might be as good as I'm gonna get.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.