To the Sunshine Trail (Trapper Creek Wilderness) 12-1-21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Re: To the Sunshine Trail (Trapper Creek Wilderness) 12-1-21

Post by bobcat » December 5th, 2021, 7:30 pm

A few days later, things are right as rain except for a tender pate. I felt pretty banged up for about 24 hours, but then my wife cracked the whip and reminded me I needed to shovel new gravel over the driveway. That seemed to work the kinks out.

It was a strange sensation watching the creek rise to meet me. My reaction in the moment was, "Mmmm . . . wonder how this will turn out?" There was a brief spasm of panic when I clonked my head on the rock and thought I might pass out and drown in the shallow stream. Once I had turned on my back and untangled from my pack, calmness and reason returned.

Still like the idea of simply sloshing through those streams in my boots and warm socks. I can hike for miles in wet feet.

drm

Post by drm » December 6th, 2021, 8:23 am

Dry feet are overrated. If Hollywood cowboys can slosh through all those creeks in their Hollywood cowboy boots, we can do so. I think that hikers who use lightweight runners are already in that habit. I know some such hikers who are afraid of slippery logs that do so. Though in the summer they will dry quickly, but not this time of year.

I have found that despite trepidation about getting the feet wet, once they are, it makes everything much easier.

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » December 6th, 2021, 5:37 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
December 4th, 2021, 8:45 pm
Chip Down wrote:
December 4th, 2021, 5:48 pm
Reclining in the current, I slowly took stock of the situation, contemplating the possibility of serious injury.
Something tells me it wasn't quite that casual. ;)

I've been known to don crampons for log crossings (not carried for that reason, of course).
I use micro spikes for wet logs on bushwhacks. I highly recommend them for that and also for steep ascents of fir and hemlock needle covered slopes and stream crossings on slippery rocks.

Bobcat, glad you weren't injured more than a few bumps! That fall could have ended much worse.
Don, when you say you use micro spikes are the ones like the Kahtoola Microspikes that have a chain and actual blade type spike or more like the Kahtoola EXOspikes that have the short nubs?

cfm

Post by cfm » December 6th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Bobcat! So glad you survived your mishap. And still put up a great TR.

These things are bound to happen over years of adventuring. You rescued yourself and I hope you can return to the trails soon.

Best wishes, cfm

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 7th, 2021, 10:57 am

BaileyBoy wrote:
December 6th, 2021, 5:37 pm

Don, when you say you use micro spikes are the ones like the Kahtoola Microspikes that have a chain and actual blade type spike or more like the Kahtoola EXOspikes that have the short nubs?
I use the ones with the chain and steel blades. The blades are able to give me excellent purchase on steep evergreen needle covered slopes that I don't think the traction the EXO-type carbide ones would. It looks like the EXO type ones would work as well on slippery logs and rocks, but I question how durable they would be longer term. I wore out my first set of Kahtoolas in only two seasons when the rubber started breaking. I had about 100 miles on them at that point, mostly on ice. I repaired them a couple of times, but they quickly completely fell apart. Since the rubber on the EXO's gets stepped on, I'd bet that they would not last nearly as long.

My 2 cents.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 7th, 2021, 5:02 pm

I have a pair of Hillsound Trail Crampons. The spikes are larger than the Kahtoolas but they are carbon steel so they will rust if not cared for.

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » December 8th, 2021, 10:08 am

Thanks Don and webfoot, I've decided to take my Kahtoola Microspikes with me from now on. I'm one of those cold feet people so walking through streams sounds "chilling" to me.
I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 8th, 2021, 11:35 am

Bobcat:
Thanks for the impetus to get out and hike this trail. After reading your report, I realized it's been over 16 years since I hiked Trapper Creek and had never hiked Sunshine below the Rim trail junction or any of the Big Slide Trail.

We got the usual late start so had to do a shortened lollypop, via Trapper Creek/Big Slide/Observation Trail for a nice 7-mile day. I plan to go back if the weather cooperates and check out the Sunshine Trail later - starting much earlier, of course.

On the first stream crossing, we avoided that "high narrow log" you pictured, Kel wasn't having any of it, so we did some exploring downstream and found a better way: The small log in the photo wasn't slippery at all.
IMG_4191.JPG
-dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 9th, 2021, 5:23 pm

I hope it's not too late...
Attachments
spikes.jpg
spikes.jpg (9.63 KiB) Viewed 1595 times

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 9th, 2021, 9:23 pm

Chip Down wrote:
December 9th, 2021, 5:23 pm
I hope it's not too late...
Sorry Chip,

I'll do what I can, but they are stuck in a container off the coast of Long Beach.
:D