Wilson River - Elk Creek - Idiot Creek Trail Extension

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AGHiker

Wilson River - Elk Creek - Idiot Creek Trail Extension

Post by AGHiker » November 7th, 2021, 4:26 pm

I read about the Wilson River trail extension in the Oregonian, from Elk Creek up to Idiot Creek. The article didn't include driving instructions to the upper Idiot Creek TH. The maps that show a road from Hwy 6 a short distance north to the Idiot Creek Loop Road are wrong .. no such road. So we decided to start at Elk Ck per article, but as the article said, seasonal bridge had been removed (11-7-21) and we thought Elk Creek was running too fast to wade across (it was also raining pretty good ... couldn't see the point of crossing it twice). We didn't even see any sign of a seasonal bridge.

Bottom line: No convenient upper Idiot Creek TH access and Elk Creek is too high and swift for me in the fall. Will check it out when the seasonal bridge is back.

AG Hiker

bobcat

Re: Wilson River - Elk Creek - Idiot Creek Trail Extension

Post by bobcat » November 7th, 2021, 5:13 pm

We have directions to the upper trailhead in our Field Guide:

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... _Trailhead

I've driven to it once, a few years ago, so don't know the road conditions right now. I wouldn't drive it under windy conditions as you might get trapped by a downed tree. The way in is the way out.

I'd also not advise fording Elk Creek during or after a heavy rain as it does come up quite quickly and strongly. After a couple of dry days, it should be OK though. Just come prepared with poles for balance and water shoes. Watch for spawning salmon. One tripped me up once, an act of aggression that drowned my camera!