Larch Mountain-Franklin Ridge Loop 11-2-21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Larch Mountain-Franklin Ridge Loop 11-2-21

Post by bobcat » November 6th, 2021, 8:30 am

The loop: Larch Mountain Trail- Franklin Ridge Trail-Oneonta Trail-Multnomah Spur Trail-Multnomah Creek Way-Oneonta Trail-Larch Mountain Road.

It was warm at the Larch Mountain parking area, with only a couple of cars in the lot (I saw two other hikers the whole day). I took the Larch Mountain Trail down past the junction with Multnomah Creek Way and entered the fire zone. I also entered a cold and dense bank of cloud that was hovering at about the 3,000 foot level. The ghostly snags of large trees consumed by crown fire stood sentinel in the mists. One of my favorite trees, the big Douglas-fir at the top of the talus slope, had been a casualty of the fire. There’s some lushness near the confluence of the two forks of Multnomah Creek before you get into the fire zone again and reach the Franklin Ridge Trail, now without signage.

Big hemlock, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Huckleberry understory, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Junction with Multnomah Creek Way, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Gray 'shrooms, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Forested scree, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Coral and moss, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Yellow 'shrooms, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Dead trees in the mist, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Exiting the talus slope, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Bridge over West Fork Multnomah Creek, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
East Fork Multnomah Creek, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Bridge over East Fork Multnomah Creek, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg
Orange 'shrooms, Larch Mountain Trail.jpg

On trail crews, I had worked or hiked the complete length of the Franklin Ridge Trail about three years ago when it was still closed. Crown fire had scorched almost the entire length of the trail, and I was curious to see how it was doing. One obstacle trail crews faced was that the dense shrubbery was rooted in scree disguised by a very thin organic layer, making it impossible to dig out the roots. I found the first few hundred yards had been recently brushed out, but after that the tall shrubs closed in (fireweed, thimbleberry, Scouler’s willow, wild cherry, elderberry, bracken, blackcap raspberry). Luckily, the trail has been hiked often enough that the tread itself is hardened and easily followed. On trail work, we had lost the original route in places and thus created new approximations, mostly closer to the edge of the Oneonta rim to get more views. Being socked in the clouds, I got no vistas but for old time’s sake had lunch at the rock outcropping from which one would normally admire Mt. Adams. There were a few trees down on the trail above the outcropping and then the vegetation became more forgiving and soon I was walking in an open understory, in one spot through a dense new carpet of one-inch hemlocks, until I joined the Oneonta Trail.

Through the bracken, Franklin Ridge Trail.jpg
Ascending above Multnomah Basin, Franklin Ridge Trail.jpg
Thimbleberry thickets, Franklin Ridge Trail.jpg
Honey mushrooms, Franklin Ridge Trail.jpg
Downed trees, Franklin Ridge Trail.jpg
Baby hemlocks, Franklin Ridge Trail.jpg
Sign at Oneonta junction, Franklin Ridge Trail.jpg

After taking the Multnomah Spur, I rock-hopped the East Fork of Multnomah Creek (the previous week I had had to ford it because the water was high). Then I headed up Multnomah Creek Way into the Larch Mountain crater. Sure enough, at about 3,000 feet, I found myself looking up at patches of blue sky, it felt about 20 degrees warmer, and I could make out the silhouette of Sherrard Point. I walked out the old logging railroad grade, and then made the brief passage on the Oneonta Trail to finish the hike.

Conk, Oneonta Trail.jpg
East Fork Multnomah Creek, Multnomah Spur Trail.jpg
Nurse log, Multnomah Creek Way.jpg
Oyster mushrooms, Multnomah Creek Way.jpg
Large Douglas-fir, Multnomah Creek Way.jpg
Logging railroad buttress, Multnomah Creek Way.jpg

Splintercat

Re: Larch Mountain-Franklin Ridge Loop 11-2-21

Post by Splintercat » November 6th, 2021, 7:29 pm

Nice report and good timing, John -- you beat the first low snowfall by just a few days! Blue sky is nice, yes, but I especially like you photos of foggy forest. Nice!

Tom :)