Newton Creek Trail (Oct 10)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Newton Creek Trail (Oct 10)

Post by Splintercat » October 22nd, 2021, 6:08 pm

Headed up the Newton Creek Trail earlier this month. Lovely fall weather one day ahead of the first significant snowfall down to pass levels, so much of what I photographed was covered in snow the next day! In fact, on the way out the storm was rolling in with vigor -- super gusty and overcast by the time I got back to the Elk Meadows TH!

Here are some photos from the trip, starting with the ancient trail sign at the Newton Creek/Timberline trail junction:

Recently cleared logs, courtesy Trailkeepers of Oregon volunteers with crosscut saws:

Panorama of Lamberson Butte from the Newton Creek Trail:

First stop was at Newton Creek -- the stream+mountain scene I photographed here a few years ago was completely rearranged for this trip, but I was able to get the two together as the clouds started to part:

...a bit later as the clouds continued to burn off for the afternoon:

Close-up of the Newton Clark Glacier and east face of Mount Hood:

...and an even closer look at the east face, known to climbers as the Black Spider route:

...on the way back down... one of my favorite spots on the mountain, the ghost forest along the upper section of the Newton Creek Trail:

Easter egg! The USFS installed this interpretive sign a few years ago as part of a series around the mountain and included several photos I donated -- proud to be part of the display next to the toilet! :lol:

-Tom :)

Chip Down

Re: Newton Creek Trail (Oct 10)

Post by Chip Down » October 23rd, 2021, 8:19 am

Splintercat wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 6:08 pm
...and an even closer look at the east face, known to climbers as the Black Spider route:
For the curious: It's called that because if lighting and snow conditions are just right, it looks like a big-ass spider* clinging to the face of Hood.

* not to be confused with a "big ass-spider", which is a different thing entirely

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 27th, 2021, 5:09 pm

Good background, Chip! I'd always assumed that, but could never see it (just as I've never seen Chief Wyeast in the cliffs above the Eliot Glacier). These days I'm quite happy to admire the steep stuff from below...

-Tom :-)

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 28th, 2021, 9:08 am

Chip Down wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 8:19 am
* not to be confused with a "big ass-spider", which is a different thing entirely
Thanks for the nightmares Chip. :P