Shorthorn and above

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Shorthorn and above

Post by drm » October 19th, 2021, 9:01 am

After hiking Sleeping Beauty the day before and spending the night at Trout Creek Campground, I headed over to Mt Adams to hike up the Shorthorn Trail and take advantage of Fall sunshine. But my actual goal was a rock outcrop towering above the Round The Mountain trail about a mile up from it's junction with Shorthorn. I've walked by it a number of times and so this time decided to ascend the slope up to the top. It's just a steep grassy slope to the side of it. And in the end it was nothing special, the views from the top are not really any better than what you can get next to the trail. And while it looks like quite a spire from some angles, the ridge behind it continues, so it's not really a high point. But you never know until you go, and it was a pleasant place to sit next to the cliff. The trail was snowfree except there was an inch or two of snow in shady area.
sh1.jpg
Mt Adams from the trailhead (Morrison Forest Camp)
sh2.jpg
the rock outcrop is in the upper right, just follow steep slopes to the left and traverse over. Steeper than it looks in this photo.
sh3.jpg
The view from the top
sh4.jpg
Looking at the direction from whence I came