Trapper Creek Wilderness: Sister Rocks Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Natmospheric

Trapper Creek Wilderness: Sister Rocks Loop

Post by Natmospheric » September 26th, 2021, 10:58 am

We were looking forward to getting back into the Trapper Creek Wilderness after nearly a year of the area being closed. We did a clockwise loop from the Trapper Creek Trailhead using the Trapper Creek and Observations Trails, with the Sister Rocks as the destination. Starting out on the Trapper Creek trail, we encountered several blowdowns in the first mile or so; any blocking the trail now have side trails forming around them. The rest of the trail is in good shape from the trailhead to the second junction with the Observation Trail. On this trip, we decided to stay on Trapper Creek for this full distance, rather than taking the Deer Cutoff Trail. Which raises an important side note: on our hikes in this area, we’ve identified several areas where the Green Trails map distances are substantially off. For the Deer Cutoff trail, the actual distance is closer to double than the 0.4 miles shown on the map. Similarly, the distance on Trapper Creek from where the Deer Cutoff trail comes back in, to the junction with the Shortcut Trail is close to 3.5 - 4 miles, which is longer than is shown on the map. On the Trapper Creek Trail, signs of fire were minimal. In just a couple small spots, the fire had burned down ravines, but did not reach the trail. At the second junction between the Trapper Creek and the Observation Trails, we turned left on the Observation Trail, passing the Big Hollow Trail and climbing to the side trail to the Sister Rocks. That trail turns off to the left just before the Observation Trail climbs to the top of the ridge. Great views from the Sister Rocks and the trails here were in good shape, with just some brushy spots. We retraced our steps back to the Observation Trail, turning right here, and then continued on this past the Trapper Creek Trail, Shortcut Trail, and the trail to Observation Peak to complete the loop. Fire impacts are much greater on the Observation Trail a mile or so after the spur trail to Observation Peak. The trail goes through heavily burned areas and is relatively eroded in some places. All areas are very much passable, but damage is noticeable. After a couple of miles, the trail gets back into unburned forest before rejoining the Trapper Creek Trail.

Natmospheric

Re: Trapper Creek Wilderness: Sister Rocks Loop

Post by Natmospheric » September 26th, 2021, 1:16 pm

Adding one photo
Attachments
PXL_20210925_204922421.jpg

drm

Post by drm » September 27th, 2021, 9:29 am

It seems that the fire stayed farther east (at least along that ridge) and so did not actually burn much on Observation Peak or Sister Rocks - not sure if that is luck of the wind or fire fighters, who I think don't usually put in much effort within wilderness (which is an appropriate thing).

I never bought the Green Trails map for Trapper Creek, I just use the FS map, which doesn't have mileages. But I've seen GT mileage mistakes elsewhere. Sometimes I think it's a typo, like when the map says 3.3 but it's actually 2.3. But I guess that wasn't the case with the mistakes you found.

BTW, Google maps had mileages wrong during the drive for a recent trip to Vista Ridge. It had all the rights turns, but a couple of them came before expected. For example, the left turn onto FR16 came when Google said I still had 0.8 miles to go.

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » October 1st, 2021, 9:22 am

Natmospheric, thanks for the comprehensive report. I hope to get over there within the next week so I feel more comfortable about understanding the conditions.
One question, after you crossed the bridge over Trapper Creek about 5.7 miles from TH and start climbing the mountain there used to be about a 2-3' section of trail washed out - right at a steep slope area. Has that been repaired? I'd like to bring my wife and she doesn't do well crossing areas like that.

Thanks

drm

Post by drm » October 1st, 2021, 1:56 pm

BaileyBoy - If you are talking about those switchbacks that climb up to the "rim" area, WTA put stone steps in there a couple years ago. So it's steep, but it used to be steep loose rubble. The stone steps are quite stable. On the other hand, that bridge is gone, taken out. Too many trees fell on it. You have to scramble across the creek on rocks, which could be a challenge if the water is high, though I doubt it has rained enough for that to be a problem now.

The Observation Trail would be a safer way to get up the Sister Rocks (from the bottom) if you're not sure.

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » October 1st, 2021, 4:01 pm

Thanks Dean, really appreciate your update. I hadn't read that the bridge was out.

I always like to read your reports since I can use them as I prepare my hikes.

Skip

Natmospheric

Post by Natmospheric » October 4th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Those stone steps are a great addition on the steep switchbacks on that part of the climb. No issues crossing the creek where the bridge is out when we were there a couple weeks ago, but I know there has been some rain since. I don't recall any spots where the Trapper Creek trail was washed out and sloped toward the edge (I can be pretty sensitive to those spots myself). There were a few spots on the Observation Trail that had some erosion and maybe a few tricky steps here and there where stumps or roots had burned away under the trail, causing some erosion.

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » October 4th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Thanks Natmo....., those slopes toward the drop-offs used to really bother me, especially when it was a bit icy or muddy. And hearing that the bridge less crossing isn't bad really helps brace my hiking partner. So clearly it's about time to get back in there.