Olympic National Park | The Grand Loop in 4K | 8/23-8/25/2021

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
cascadia1000

Olympic National Park | The Grand Loop in 4K | 8/23-8/25/2021

Post by cascadia1000 » September 4th, 2021, 3:48 pm

This was a 42 mile, 3-day backpack of the Grand Loop in Olympic National Park.

Video of the trip:

Map of route: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/m ... d8a23?u=i

This route is listed in the book, "Trekking Washington" by Mike Woodmansee. I've also listed the Alltrails route including waypoints for my two camps.

I was able to get a backpacking permit a week before the trip. I didn't book the permit online instead I called the Wilderness Information Center.

Day 1: Obstruction Point to Lost Pass. 12.5 miles with 4530 ft elevation gain.

I took the first Bainbridge Ferry from Seattle at 5:30 AM. I was hiking by 10AM from the start at Obstruction Point. I went along the scenic Lillian Ridge and passed Grand and Moose Lake. I saw more people on this section up to Moose Lake than any other section of the route. I then crossed over Grand Pass and Cameron Pass and made my way to Lost Pass. The initial descents over these passes are steep so take your time. The ascent to Cameron Pass is steep and was about the least enjoyable part of the whole trip. The Grand Valley and Cameron Valleys were however very beautiful. I saw just one party of two in between Grand Pass and Lost Pass. I got to Lost Pass just before 6PM where I set up camp. While there was very little wind, I awoke to a frost covered tent.

Day 2: Lost Pass to Three Forks Camp. 17 miles with 2900 ft elevation gain

I dropped down from Lost Pass to the Dosewallips River Trail. The descent from Lost Pass was steep but once I got onto the Dosewallips it was a nice forest walk. I then took the Gray Wolf Pass Trail and made the ascent to Gray Wolf Pass. The views up near Gray Wolf Pass were great and the descent after the pass was maybe my favorite part of the trip. There was a nice waterfall, lake and valley. Then it was a long descent to Three Forks along the Gray Wolf River Trail. I met some wonderful people in camp that made the time there all the more enjoyable.

Day 3: Three Forks Camp to Obstruction Point. 12 miles 5230 ft elevation gain

I got an early start for the climb up to Deer Park. From there I took the Obstruction Point Trail back to the start. I've done this section before and the views were spectacular.

Misc: There was no snow at all to cross. Bugs weren't out at all. I think the recent cold night got rid of them.

Days 1 and 2 had plenty of water. Day 3 is very limited. I heard there was a water source at Deer Park but I didn't really need it as I filled my bottles at Three Forks which lasted me to the finish.

BigBear

Re: Olympic National Park | The Grand Loop in 4K | 8/23-8/25/2021

Post by BigBear » September 5th, 2021, 7:34 pm

The trio of deer was great, nice to have such a curious fawn. I also like the rushing brooks.

Watching you walk away from the camera several hundred times became too repetitious. I wonder how much mileage was accumulated with setting up the camera and walking back and forth because some of those shots were up the hill looking down. Loved the views though.

I hiked the 12 1/2 mile Grand Valley loop many years ago so it was nice to see the area again on your video.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 12th, 2021, 9:36 am

So neat to see a mama deer and her fawns right on the trail. Super cute!
cascadia1000 wrote:
September 4th, 2021, 3:48 pm
I was able to get a backpacking permit a week before the trip. I didn't book the permit online instead I called the Wilderness Information Center.
Interesting. The park's website says "All Wilderness Camping Permits must be reserved on Recreation.gov through the Olympic National Park Wilderness Permit page prior to the planned trip." So maybe that's out-of-date info on their site?

cascadia1000

Post by cascadia1000 » September 12th, 2021, 10:07 am

I actually attempted to book my trip through the website, however my planned 1st camp at Lost Pass wasn't listed. I found this on the website which prompted me to call the office.

"If you would like to book a cross country trip (e.g. Bailey Range) or a campsite that is not listed on Recreation.gov, please contact the WIC at (360) 565-3100."

The office was very helpful and issued the permit over the phone.