Elk Cove Avalanche (August 8)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Splintercat

Elk Cove Avalanche (August 8)

Post by Splintercat » August 28th, 2021, 8:01 pm

Thought I'd post these separately, as they're not typical trip report material, but they're also from my trip to Elk Cove a couple weeks ago. You may have seen it in other trip reports, but there was sizable avalanche that swept into the southwest corner of Elk Cove over the winter. These are common at the cove, but only a few are large enough to sweep away forests -- and this one did!

Looking down from 99 Ridge, you can see the avalanche debris field plainly:

As you step into the meadows of Elk Cove on the Timberline Trail, you can see the debris field just upstream, along Cove Creek:

Close-up, it's easy to see the power of an avalanche -- whole trees 18" in diameter were snapped off and carried down in the event:

Panoramic view showing the extent of the debris field:

This view is looking upstream from the edge of the debris field to the upper reaches of Cove Creek, where the beautiful wildflower gardens are completely untouched:

As of a couple weeks ago, there was still several feet of snow from the avalanche under the debris -- and Cove Creek has found a way under the pile, forming a snow cave:

If you poke around forest downslope from the avalanche debris field, you'll find some old stumps like this one (below) -- reminders that any tree in Elk Cove can be taken down in a big avalanche, even a giant like this one! My guess is that this stump is from the early 1960s avalanche that also destroyed much of the old CCC shelter that once stood in Elk Cove.

If you do go to check this out, walk gently around the margins. What looks like bare ground is actually wildflower meadow that is very late in emerging because of the amount of snow dumped here by the avalanche.

-Tom :-)

BurnsideBob

Re: Elk Cove Avalanche (August 8)

Post by BurnsideBob » August 29th, 2021, 6:36 am

Thank you for your informative report, Tom.

The conventional explanation of geographic change is that it happens on "geologic time", not human time, so is invisible to us mortals. But your report suggests a herky, jerky evolution where the landscape is static most of the time but changes incrementally in human-observable events.

Anyone remember Hwy 35 being closed by the White Water Glacier outburst flood? Or the north side debris flows and erosion damage from the Feb 1996 flood event? Or Mt St. Helen's lateral blast?

Burnside
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 29th, 2021, 9:54 am

BurnsideBob wrote:
August 29th, 2021, 6:36 am
The conventional explanation of geographic change is that it happens on "geologic time", not human time
The 'gradualist' and 'catastrophist' schools of thought about geologic change have more or less merged, so that both are now recognized as describing some elements of geologic history.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 29th, 2021, 1:39 pm

Quite right, Aimless! Putting my geoscience nerd hat on for a moment, the early challenges to "gradualism" included Harlan Bretz, whose theories about what we now call the "Bretz Floods" or "Missoula Floods" were mocked for decades by the geological establishment... until the evidence behind his theories became overwhelming. Thankfully, he lived long enough to be recognized for his vision and genius. There's a great book "Bretz' Floods" that tells his story -- a good read!
Anyone remember Hwy 35 being closed by the White Water Glacier outburst flood? Or the north side debris flows and erosion damage from the Feb 1996 flood event? Or Mt St. Helen's lateral blast?
All of the above, Burnside -- plus the Polallie flood that took out Highway 35 in 1980 for several months. WyEast bats last! :D

-Tom

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 29th, 2021, 2:02 pm

I was on Silver Star when the lateral blast happened. Good thing it went north, and not south, or I wouldn't be here.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 29th, 2021, 5:00 pm

retired jerry wrote:
August 29th, 2021, 2:02 pm
I was on Silver Star when the lateral blast happened. Good thing it went north, and not south, or I wouldn't be here.
Glad you survived Jerry! Did you get any pictures?

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 29th, 2021, 6:00 pm

BurnsideBob wrote:
August 29th, 2021, 6:36 am
Anyone remember Hwy 35 being closed by the White Water Glacier outburst flood?
White River Glacier :geek:

Regarding Tom's pics, they should be reviewed by anybody who says "I can outrun an avalanche" or "I'm safe here, I'm in the trees".

Looks a lot like the debris left in Jefferson's Milk Creek Gully by an event in...what, 1995 I think. Jumbled mess of trees and snow, lower on the mountain than snow would normally persist into summer.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 29th, 2021, 7:28 pm

There was also a good-sized avalanche on the east slope of Tanner Butte about 10 years ago -- some great pictures posted here by Thomas and Don Nelsen, as I recall... is that right, Don?
Regarding Tom's pics, they should be reviewed by anybody who says "I can outrun an avalanche" or "I'm safe here, I'm in the trees".
Ha! Love that, Chip. :lol:

-Tom

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 30th, 2021, 5:22 am

No camera when I saw the main eruption from Silver Star

But there is a vague picture in my head :)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 31st, 2021, 3:59 pm

retired jerry wrote:
August 30th, 2021, 5:22 am
No camera when I saw the main eruption from Silver Star

But there is a vague picture in my head :)
OK, If we ever meet on the trail, we'll have to do the Vulcan mind meld. :D
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller