15 Mile-Fret Creek - Divide - Lookout Mt Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ChrisA

15 Mile-Fret Creek - Divide - Lookout Mt Loop

Post by ChrisA » August 28th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Following the example of some more experienced group members, my wife, dog and I hit the trail at about 11:20 am on Friday, August 27. This must have given time for the early birds to be done, as we only came across one backpacker at his tent and a photographer at Lookout Mountain. Several people had just returned to the High Prairie TH and were driving away. We started where the Fifteen Mile Trail intersects FR 4420 and proceeded clockwise to the Fret Creek Trail near Fifteen Mile Camp, up the Fret Creek Trail to a lunch break at Oval Lake, where we watched the dragonflies. From there we went up the Divide Trail and to Lookout Mountain, then to the High Prairie TH via the High Prairie Trail. We then walked on the Bennett Pass Road east for about 1.5 miles to the Lookout Mountain Trail. It was about a mile to the beginning of the Fifteen Mile Trail, and in a short distance we were back at the vehicle at about 5:30 pm. It was a beautiful day, the trails were in great shape, and we had great views. The only downside was the lack of huckleberries. Lots of bushes but hardly any berries to be had. Hiking distance was about 10.8 miles and about 2,000 feet or so of elevation gain.
Attachments
DSCF3058.JPG
Mount Hood
DSCF3067.JPG
Wildflowers.
DSCF3068.JPG
Flowers along trail.
DSCF3035.JPG
Oval Lake
DSCF3032.JPG
Fret Creek.

Splintercat

Re: 15 Mile-Fret Creek - Divide - Lookout Mt Loop

Post by Splintercat » August 29th, 2021, 7:34 pm

Thanks, Chris -- that's such a great loop! Nice that you had minimal crowds, too. That used to be standard over there, but I guess the growth of Hood River as a distance suburb of Portland is putting more folks on those trails..?

-Tom