Wobbly Lake, Camp Creek Falls and Valley Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
ChrisA

Wobbly Lake, Camp Creek Falls and Valley Trail

Post by ChrisA » August 15th, 2021, 7:13 am

Last minute trip to escape the heat. My wife was away for the weekend so my dog and I camped at a site next to the Wobbly Lake trailhead. The roads to get there were great, but due to a late start we didn't get there until about 2 pm. Set up camp and walked the 1.5 miles to the lake. It was pretty, but smoke obscured the ridges. Temps were in the 80's.

Wobbly Lake
DSCF2940.JPG
DSCF2942.JPG
After dinner we walked a couple miles up the 2208 road. Feasted on huckleberries, native blackberries and thimbleberries. I left the rain fly off the tent to allow air flow. However, this was not good for the dog's comfort. (Side note, we had the dog outside on our first backpack trip, which didn't go well. since then, she has slept great in the tent.) Without the rain fly, she could see outside and spent the night on guard duty. After a sleepless starry night, and a more favorable forecast, I decided to pack up camp and hike either on the Klickitat Trail or other trails in the area, then head home. I drove to a trailhead where the 2200 road intersects the Klickitat trail and while the skies started out relatively clear, the smoke was filling in quickly.

Mount Adams from 15 miles away
DSCF2966.JPG
Views from the drive
DSCF2936.JPG
DSCF2960.JPG
I figured there wasn't going to be much in the way of views so we went to the Camp Creek Falls trail and part of the Valley trail going towards Randle. The dog enjoyed the creek and sniffing out animal trails, and I enjoyed the forest and falls. Only saw two dirt bikes on the Valley trail, no other people aside from some campers along the road. Only a handful of mosquitos and a few horseflies.
Camp Creek Falls
DSCF2978.JPG
Forest along the Valley Trail.
DSCF2986.JPG

bobcat

Re: Wobbly Lake, Camp Creek Falls and Valley Trail

Post by bobcat » August 18th, 2021, 12:16 pm

Yes, smokey! But you did get a nice visit at Camp Creek Falls.

For those who are unfamiliar, this area is west of Goat Rocks . . .

Splintercat

Re: Wobbly Lake, Camp Creek Falls and Valley Trail

Post by Splintercat » August 29th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Thanks for posting, Chris! This hike is new to me -- my sole visit to the area was Burley Mountain many years ago. Looks like a very nice hike with a bit of everything!

Tom :-)