Goat Lake loop -- 07/24/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
smithsummit

Goat Lake loop -- 07/24/21

Post by smithsummit » July 31st, 2021, 3:28 pm

HI,

Excited for a trip to the Goat Rocks Wilderness... last Friday night I made the drive up to the Berry Patch TH after eating more than I should have at a BBQ. Pulling into the trailhead parking area I noticed a few things:

At least a couple of dozen cars parked
A handful of behemoth vehicles I think of as "adventure vans" (Sprinter type)
Yet again... Prius drivers will take their cars pretty much anywhere

Off to sleep at 1am, up at 6am and hiking by 6:30. Mosquitoes were present all day in noticeable numbers and I used bug juice for the first time in two decades. Route for the day: Berry Patch TH, Goat Ridge, Lily Basin, Snowgrass, with a side trip up Old Snowy.

Just getting started on the Goat Ridge trail and conditions were great. Cool morning. Beautiful early morning sunlight.
one.jpg

Making good time, but not feeling great on low sleep and a big dinner. Haven't seen another person yet.
two.jpg

Heading for the saddle in the upper middle of the photo. A bit of high haze creating difficult conditions my inexpensive cell phone camera.
three.jpg

Here you can start to get a sense of the amazing terrain Goat Rocks is known for. The high alpine feel can't be beat.
four.jpg

Above most trees at this point and about to have sun on me for the first time. The day warmed quickly.
five.jpg

Just pretty. No story here. :)
six.jpg

Nearing the Lily Basin trail junction (end of the Goat Ridge trail)
seven.jpg

Goat Lake coming up soon. There were a few patches of snow on the trail; none very long
eight.jpg

Looking down the valley toward Mt. Adams. Even with some haze, the big peaks were out in full force.
nine.jpg

Looking up to Old Snowy and its neighbors. Not a lot of snow up there. The last time I climbed it years ago we were able to take a pretty direct route from the PCT on steep snow.
ten.jpg

Yay, Goat Lake. Nice to see plenty of ice still. Spoke with one gentleman later in the day who was going to try his luck with a spinning rod. Anybody know if there are fish in the lake?
eleven.jpg

Between Goat Lake and the PCT link. Note that maps show two routes up to the PCT, but the one closest to Goat Lake is closed for habitat restoration.
twelve.jpg

On the PCT and nearing the trail to Old Snowy's summit. Also my last usable photo for the trip due to complications from the DEET distaster
thirteen.jpg

I was #UnhappyCamper for the grind up Old Snowy. Quite warm by this time and I wasn't feeling well. However... sitting on top and eating my favorite lunch of Thai Chili Lime cashews... the whiny voice was squished back into its box by the "heck, yeah, this is awesome" elf.

The loop without old Snowy is 12-ish miles; with plenty of options for add-ons. I ended up clocking a little over 21.

In parting... cruising back down the Snowgrass trail tired and wearing smeary sunglasses a smallish brown thing came charging up the trail toward me. Couldn't make it out at first but soon realized it was a mini dachshund. Legs not much longer than breakfast sausages and only a couple of inches between her belly and the ground. Talked to the very nice owner for a minute who said her pup would hike the whole distance up to Goat Lake.

--Rob

Chip Down

Re: Goat Lake loop -- 07/24/21

Post by Chip Down » August 1st, 2021, 6:53 pm

Nice TR. Although GR has been getting a little attention lately, it tends to be overlooked somewhat. A familiar phenomenon: If Adams and Rainier weren't there, GR would be a gem.

I'm trying to remember if Goat Lake is visible from PCT. I doubt it. That's probably good. Keeps it a bit of a secret.

keithcomess

Re: Goat Lake loop -- 07/24/21

Post by keithcomess » August 1st, 2021, 7:13 pm

Thanks for the photos and the report!

Keith