Anyone visited Goat Rocks/Lilly Basin Trail lately?

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
keithcomess

Anyone visited Goat Rocks/Lilly Basin Trail lately?

Post by keithcomess » July 25th, 2021, 7:01 pm

I haven't seen any reports on the Goat Rocks Wilderness here lately. Anybody visited recently? I'm planning a trip in a couple of weeks, entering via Lilly Basin.

Keith

smithsummit

Re: Anyone visited Goat Rocks/Lilly Basin Trail lately?

Post by smithsummit » July 25th, 2021, 7:32 pm

HI keithcomess,

Yesterday I did the Goat Lake loop (Berry Patch TH, Goat Ridge, Lily Basin, Snowgrass) with a side trip up Old Snowy. I'll try to post a TR this week. Conditions were good, lots of people, many mosquitoes.

Cheers,

Rob

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » July 27th, 2021, 12:28 pm

Rob,

Thanks for the reply! I'm very interested in reading your trip report.

Hordes of mosquitos are tolerable. Hordes of hikers maybe less so. Crowds seem to dilute the wilderness experience. Bugs are just there.

Keith

CrazyDayHikers

Post by CrazyDayHikers » July 27th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Hi Rob and Keith,

We did a similar loop on July 24th. Started from Snowgrass Flat TH, over to Berry Patch and up Goat Ridge with a detour using 95A to the lookout before coming back to the Goat Ridge Trail, Lily Basin with a side trip to the saddle just before Hawkeye Point, back down Lily Basin to Snowgrass, up to the PCT, and then back to Snowgrass via the Bypass Trail, and finally back to the Snowgrass Flat Trailhead. The only snowfield we encountered was at the saddle to Hawkeye Point. I'll second Rob's note on the hordes of mosquitoes! It was absolutely spectacular, with meadows in bloom. If you have room in the trip, taking trail 95A to the lookout offered great views and a little solitude compared to the crowds on the other trails.

Natasha

ras_pdx

Post by ras_pdx » July 27th, 2021, 9:47 pm

Thanks for the report. We're planning to head into the Goat Rocks from the east side, from Conrad Meadow up the South Fork Tieton. I was hoping we wouldn't have *hordes* of mosquitoes, but it is still the end of July. Can you comment on what elevations had the worst bugs, and if they were present all the time or only morning/evening? Did a breeze help? I'm planning to bring my head net and DEET just in case...

Thanks!
Rich

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » July 28th, 2021, 6:23 am

Rich,

I think the mosquitos tend to take vacations in August though the hordes of people increase as summer progresses.

Anyone: were the crowds such that campsites were in short supply?

Keith

CrazyDayHikers

Post by CrazyDayHikers » July 28th, 2021, 5:46 pm

Mosquitoes were maybe a little better at the higher elevations and when there was a breeze, but, unfortunately, it was pretty bad throughout.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » July 29th, 2021, 10:33 am

Did the crowds thin out too at the higher elevations? Any problems securing campsites (by water sources)?

Keith

CrazyDayHikers

Post by CrazyDayHikers » July 29th, 2021, 5:53 pm

It was pretty busy throughout. We didn't camp, we just did a day hike, so I can't speak too much to the campsite situation. By the afternoon, from what we could see, it did seem like most spots were occupied. It was still enjoyable and the crowds definitely didn't negate the beauty of the area, but I can imagine there might be challenge in finding places to camp.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » July 30th, 2021, 8:08 pm

Thanks for the reply! I expected that tent space may be at a premium this year in the Goat Rocks due to fires elsewhere.