Upper Eagle Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Upper Eagle Creek

Post by drm » July 24th, 2021, 5:37 pm

I hiked down Eagle Creek today from Wahtum Lake. I had intended to do the loop up to Indians Springs/Mtn, but that trail is in bad shape, not something I'm up to now. The upper camps are in good shape.
wahtum1.jpg
From the south shore
upper camp.jpg
About a mile below the lake, a bit scruffy, but usable
lower camp.jpg
Another mile down is Two Creek Camp (my name), this one seems the same as before.
inspr1.jpg
Indian Springs trail: No sign, just a vague track and a little pink ribbon
inspr2.jpg
I went up it all of 20 yards or so
inspr3.jpg
even worse - I wonder if it is like this all the way to Indian Springs
trail1.jpg
But EC trail is great!
trail2.jpg
and more great

MarkInTheDark

Re: Upper Eagle Creek

Post by MarkInTheDark » July 25th, 2021, 5:52 am

Cool report, great to see the 2 Creek camp again, it looks perfect. How were the bugs?

drm

Post by drm » July 25th, 2021, 3:18 pm

If the bugs are bad, I will always say so. I was there mid-day only, but a warm day. There were no mosquitoes and a very few biting flies.

suebabyshampoo

Post by suebabyshampoo » July 26th, 2021, 11:42 am

Indian Springs trail is pretty bad throughout its length. It's actually being scouted today by PCTA volunteers, so we will know more soon. It was last cleared in 2019, but became overgrown again due to lack of use. There's quite a bit of brushing and blowdown to deal with before I'd call it a trail again, it's more a bushwhack at the moment.
A vegan yogini unicorn. I am the Princess of Perpetual Peace, playing in a drama of sad and happy dreams on the stage of eternity. https://empressofcascadia.com/

suebabyshampoo

Post by suebabyshampoo » July 26th, 2021, 11:49 am

drm wrote:
July 25th, 2021, 3:18 pm
If the bugs are bad, I will always say so. I was there mid-day only, but a warm day. There were no mosquitoes and a very few biting flies.
I did a run down Eagle from Wahtum Lake to Twister Falls and back last week, and the mosquitoes are finally not bad at all. Some biting flies, but nothing like it was in mid-June when they were both so thick. I also camped at Wahtum again on Friday night right near the outflow, mosquitoes were pretty minor. We worked all day Friday on logs on the cutoff trail and the bugs pretty much left us alone. :)
A vegan yogini unicorn. I am the Princess of Perpetual Peace, playing in a drama of sad and happy dreams on the stage of eternity. https://empressofcascadia.com/

drm

Post by drm » July 29th, 2021, 8:52 am

Thanks for the updates!