Wizard Way (Mt. Hood Meadows) 7-17-21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
JZwing

Re: Wizard Way (Mt. Hood Meadows) 7-17-21

Post by JZwing » July 22nd, 2021, 3:23 pm

A friend-of-a-friend said he ran into 3 guys working on the trail above the Middle Wizard yesterday. They said that they were not done but weren't sure when the upper trail section would be finished.

We did a big loop yesterday, returning on the Timberline then the Umbrella Falls trail. The beargrass was mostly done but many other things are in bloom including a little patch of pasque flowers (!). The lower trails are well graded and alternate nicely between shady forest and sunny, floral ski-slope meadows. A partial list: subalpine mariposa, paintbrush, pink & yellow monkeyflowers, false hellebore, lupine, asters, pasque seedheads, some spirea, and one little patch of Showy Jacob's Ladder on the Umbrella Trail below the Timberline trail.

We used the Mt. Meadows Summer Trail map, which leaves lot to be desired but usable.

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » July 29th, 2021, 3:34 pm

We hiked here on Wednesday July 28. It was cool and cloudy when we started but the sky cleared and the temps rose.
IMG_1518.JPG
We started on the Umbrella Falls trail, connected with Timberline Trail and then up Wizard Way 7 and 8, (Lower and Middle). We didn’t see any trail work being done to extend the trails.
IMG_1496.JPG
There were lots of flowers along the TT even though most were past their peak.
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1509.JPG
I especially liked all the Western Pasque flowers, or Dr. Seuss flowers as I think of them.
IMG_1489.JPG
Not sure what these two flowers are:
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
We didn’t have a view to any other peaks, as it was a little hazy. But the forest and flower views on the way up were beautiful.
IMG_1500.JPG
We stopped at what seemed like the top of Middle Wizard, but we did not cross over to the top of the chairlift so from reading other trip reports, there was likely more trail there.
IMG_1527.JPG
IMG_1529.JPG
It would be nice to have Upper Wizard added for more elevation.
We saw no other hikers.
As far as bugs go, we only saw a few biting flies. Not a problem though.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 29th, 2021, 5:23 pm

dmthomas49 wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 3:34 pm
from reading other trip reports, there was likely more trail there.
There's more trail to the tree line (just above the chair terminal and to its east) and then just a couple of flags placed above it on open tundra.

"Upper Wizard", if there ever would be such a thing, would continue up the ridge above Wizard Head until 9,000-9,300 feet. Not a real necessity of a trail - the way is circumscribed for you.

I saw pasque flowers blooming and "towhead baby" seed heads within 10 yards of each other on the Timberline Trail there.

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » July 29th, 2021, 7:19 pm

bobcat wrote:
July 29th, 2021, 5:23 pm

I saw pasque flowers blooming and "towhead baby" seed heads within 10 yards of each other on the Timberline Trail there.
Bobcat, that for helping me identify one of the flower. When I searched for towhead baby, I also found the "cat's ear lily".
Thanks!
IMG_1486.JPG
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir