PCT Section hike cut short (Timberline Lodge to Salvation Springs)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
KDfishbiologist

PCT Section hike cut short (Timberline Lodge to Salvation Springs)

Post by KDfishbiologist » July 7th, 2021, 7:22 am

Goal: Timberline Lodge to Bridge of the Gods
Start Date: July 3rd
End Point: Lolo Pass TH

Fiancée dropped the pup and I off at Timberline early on the 3rd just as the trail crew was gathering. We unfortunately headed off in front of them so the tree climbing commenced. Nothing too bad and the 8-year-old dog handled it like a champ. Lots of people coming down from having spend the night at Paradise Park. The dog and I had camped up there last year on my first solo backpack so lots of fond memories up there.
treesovertrail.jpg
zigzag.jpg
The hike down to the Sandy after the Paradise Park intersection was pretty quiet, only saw one other person and she had tweaked her ankle so was on her way back up. The Sandy was pretty high (as expected), but two TT backpackers helped me and the pup safely cross about 200 yards or so upstream of the trail (Thanks again, guys!!). The sand was hot though so the pup got to practice walking in his booties. Had to stop off and see Ramona Falls. Surprisingly not as packed as I expected. The dog ate half my lunch and tried to befriend everyone before we packed up and headed onward. Muddy Fork crossing was pretty easy with those two parallel trees. We filled up one water at the creek and decided to make camp and get an early start to Top Spur in the cool morning hours. Saw the same TT backpackers again and a couple other groups pass by camp. Peaceful night hearing the Muddy Fork rushing by all evening.
beargrass.jpg
camp.jpg
Next morning, we passed a runner that said the trail was pretty quiet. The climb passed by faster than I thought it would, and we started seeing lots of people on the way down to Lolo Pass. More tree climbing but nothing too bad or that the dog couldn't handle. At Lolo Pass, a couple people asked for directions and there was a lot of traffic that seemed confused on what road they really should take to Lost Lake. Seemed like a busy area. We headed up the PCT by the powerlines and were excited to top off the water bottles from a seasonal spring. The next 4 miles went quickly as crews had cleared the trees. Things took a turn at Huckleberry Mountain Trail intersection. The mosquitos came out with a vengeance and the trees returned. We crossed over maybe 6-8 more trees before realizing the trip reports from a week before about this section being impassable could be our reality. Having a spot of service, decided to play it safe and bail out albeit I was pretty bummed. Since the driver of my potential ride has never been to Lost Lake, we backtracked to Lolo Pass and awaited our rescue.
trailtree.jpg
breaktime.jpg
mthood.jpg
Hanging out at Lolo Pass for an hour in the shade wasn't so bad. LOTS of traffic. More people confused about what road to take. Helped one group find the McGee Creek TH (Gaia, it's a live saver). We made it back home in time to enjoy a beer, count about 40 mosquito bites, and comfort our second pup that is not a fan of fireworks. A bit sad to cut the trip short, but used my now free "extra" day to go hike recently reopened Eagle Creek with fiancée and friends so things have a way of working out. Stay safe out there, everyone!

Splintercat

Re: PCT Section hike cut short (Timberline Lodge to Salvation Springs)

Post by Splintercat » July 8th, 2021, 4:40 pm

Nice report, KD! Bonus points for your pup in booties -- we do the same, and I wish more folks would up on volcanic surfaces. It sounds like the PCTA has reached out to TKO and others to make a collective run at the downed trees north of where you turned around at Huckleberry Mountain... should have those cleared out this year!

Tom :-)

KDfishbiologist

Post by KDfishbiologist » July 12th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Thanks for the update, Tom! Heard on a FB group they spent 5 days in there clearing trees :shock: Must've been real bad.

JBG

Post by JBG » August 26th, 2021, 6:30 pm

Did this hike this week and much has been done. Still some trees on the trail about 2 miles beyond Salvation Springs for about 5 mi. But only one was tricky. The rest were typical over or under - a lot of under so prepare for the dirt. Slows you down a lot as well. Made it thru to Eagle Creek and the bridge no problem.

KDfishbiologist

Post by KDfishbiologist » August 31st, 2021, 10:08 am

JBG wrote:
August 26th, 2021, 6:30 pm
Did this hike this week and much has been done. Still some trees on the trail about 2 miles beyond Salvation Springs for about 5 mi. But only one was tricky. The rest were typical over or under - a lot of under so prepare for the dirt. Slows you down a lot as well. Made it thru to Eagle Creek and the bridge no problem.
Thanks for the update. Glad you made it safely!! So crazy that they spent days there and there are still trees. Must've been pretty bad.