Yocum Ridge -- 07/04/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
smithsummit

Yocum Ridge -- 07/04/21

Post by smithsummit » July 5th, 2021, 10:47 am

HI Folks,

I left West Linn after church yesterday morning and made it to the Ramona Falls trailhead at ~10:45am, heading for Yocum Ridge. With a little off trail exploration near my high point I logged a little over 19 miles and a bit over 4k gain.

Trailhead sign for the Timberline Trail reroute.
one.jpg

Fair number of cars in the parking lot, but the trails never felt busy except at the Sandy River crossing. The Sandy River crossing is still in good shape. Sandy River Trail and the Ramona Falls trail are both clear, and there were no deadfall issues until maybe a third of a mile past Ramona Falls.

Leaving the Timberline Trail:
leaving_tline.jpg

The pond at 5100 feet:
pond.jpg

First snow patches at just over 5200:
two.jpg

Two photos between the pond and an amazing view point at 5900:
three.jpg
four.jpg

One of my favorite places on the mountain.
five.jpg

Nearing my high point. Most people stop at the dark green area just below the ridgeline.
six.jpg

There's a neat area above trail's end (see photo in the OH writeup) that not many people go to. The way forward (just over 6300 feet here) is straight at the upper Yocum Ridge to ~7000 feet. Your choice of moderately steep snow or unstable junk dirt/rock for a ways but much nicer after that. I had crampons with me but decided to turn here since it was 2:45 and I had plans for later in the evening back in Portland.
seven.jpg

This hike has good shade cover for most of it's length. Some trees down; easily navigated. Still a few places to filter water if needed. Mosquitoes weren't too aggressive, even near the pond, but flies were a real nuisance at times.

--Rob

retired jerry

Re: Yocum Ridge -- 07/04/21

Post by retired jerry » July 5th, 2021, 11:31 am

Nice!
Pretty early to be that high

Weasel

Post by Weasel » July 6th, 2021, 8:21 am

Well that sucks about the Timberline, that was my favorite part of that side of the mountain. So pretty and easy-going. Damn, what a wind storm that was.

Nice photos! I'd love to get up to Yocum Ridge one day.

TwoPaw

Post by TwoPaw » July 11th, 2021, 8:00 pm

Yocum Ridge is one of my favorites and there's something magical about the last mile or so. A long dayhike to be sure - too long for an older mortal like me, so I did it as an overnighter last time. Doesn't sound like TH was slammed either - maybe last year's crush is starting to abate? (I doubt it.) Thanks for a great report.

proxie

Post by proxie » July 12th, 2021, 7:20 pm

I've always wanted to do this as a lightweight single night camp, but have never made the time. Maybe this year.