Zigzag Mountain, aka Zigzag Mountian, from west

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Zigzag Mountain, aka Zigzag Mountian, from west

Post by Chip Down » July 2nd, 2021, 11:56 am

(Google still calls it Zigzag Mountian)

7/1 I was going to do the Mississippi Head loop, but my heart wasn't in it. Beautiful hike, but I've done it so many times. Early morning, there was precip from inner Portland through Sandy, so there's my excuse. I can do the MH in adverse weather and poor visibility, but let's not.

I don't think I've seen Zigzag Mountain bare. It's been on my list. Started at the south Burnt Lake TH, took the West Zigzag trail that meets the ZZ trail at the slot/lookout. Along the way, decided to take a ridgecrest shortcut (see map below). I knew my most likely nemesis would be rhododendron, but it wasn't bad at all. I was almost always able to wind around it, until the last quarter or eighth mile.

ZZ trail was so overgrown, I could have walked right past it if I wasn't paying attention. I was going to turn west and hike through the interesting parts, until I reached the endless switchbacks descending to Rhododendron. Changed my mind, went east instead, past Horseshoe Ridge junction, on to ZZ Mtn. At the point where trail leaves ridgecrest and drops towards the Cast Lake trail, I returned, past the point where I gained the trail at the top of my shortcut, and continued to the slot/lookout, just past the West ZZ junction.

I decided to call it a day. Visibility was almost zero, and it was shockingly warm. Lots of work ahead, little reward. And I was fed up with the bugs. I'll get the rest of that trail another day.

By the way, that West ZZ trail was much more tiring than I remember it. I assume it must have been realigned, and switchbacks removed. Trail is in fantastic shape; I think I stepped over three trees. It's actually in better condition than the main ZZ trail.

Oh, regarding the rain, it never really amounted to anything. I probably got wetter from brush.
Attachments
A.jpg
C.jpg
Where my shortcut met the ZZ trail.
D.jpg
A nice place to sit and take a break.
E2.jpg
Funny how hard it is to find these in the snow.
F1.jpg
I arrived at the Horseshoe rockpile just as the clouds were parting for a few minutes.
G1.jpg
Looking west from Horseshoe rockpile.
H1.jpg
A rockpile east of Horseshoe.
I1.jpg
A bonus found offtrail. Dejavu. I may have found this on a winter visit.
J.jpg
Fremont commemorative brews are a Zigzag tradition.
K.jpg
Last edited by Chip Down on July 2nd, 2021, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Re: Zigzag Mountain, aka Zigzag Mountian, from west

Post by Chip Down » July 2nd, 2021, 11:58 am

late additions
Attachments
L.jpg
Beargrass pollen. At home, three bucket rinses came out yellow.
M.jpg
down low, they were wilted in a way I've never seen, presumably due to the record heat a few days ago. Up on ridgecrest, they were looking healthy.

TwoPaw

Post by TwoPaw » July 3rd, 2021, 7:41 am

Beargrass pollen. At home, three bucket rinses came out yellow.
Now we have a real clue about your wardrobe that you dutifully described before. That beargrass pollen has medicinal properties, I hear.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 6th, 2021, 7:16 pm

How is the road to that south trailhead these days? I've never done it but I hear it's dreadful.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 6th, 2021, 7:52 pm

justpeachy wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 7:16 pm
How is the road to that south trailhead these days? I've never done it but I hear it's dreadful.
You've heard right. Probably about in the 4109 class, but better in the dry season (poorly drained, dries out later than most roads).
Good news: it's been repaired, except for one mudbog which will possibly be rectified soon. :D
Bad news: repairs are to support roadside logging. :cry:
[Actually, the repairs aren't entirely good news, because the state of that road kept people away.]

Full report here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29805&view=unread#unread

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 7th, 2021, 6:17 am

Thanks for that link. I missed seeing that writeup. Good news about the road improvement but bad news about the logging. :( Sounds like if I were to head up there I should park just before the mudpit and start walking.