Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park, 6/23/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Dylan

Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park, 6/23/21

Post by Dylan » June 24th, 2021, 5:39 pm

This is a trip report for the Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park Hike, completed on Wednesday, June 23rd, 2021.

TLDR: This beautiful trail is partially obscured by snow and occasionally obstructed by fallen trees. It is passable but much more rugged than usual. If you want to hike snow-free or camp out at Paradise Park then you probably want to wait until mid-July.

I did not hike the full Paradise Park loop, I went from Timberline Lodge to the wooden sign at the entrance of the Paradise Park meadow, then back the way I came. I have marked my route in blue on this map:

paradise-park-map.jpg

I have also marked the following points of interest on the hike, which I reference in my trip report below:
1. Zigzag Overlook
2. Zigzag River crossing
3. Wooden Sign at Paradise Park.

The Hike

This normally well-manicured trail is in rugged condition at the moment, with downed trees criss-crossing the path at many places, especially on the slope between Zigzag Overlook and the Zigzag River crossing (marked 1 and 2 on the map above). Snow still covers large sections of the trail, and the snow level is much higher than I expected (more on that below). With record temperatures coming this weekend it is hard to know what the snow levels will look like in a week or two, but anyone considering this hike right now should expect to trudge through snow for at least the first 1.5 miles of the trail. The paradise park meadow itself is still under significant snow: the top of the wooden sign marking the entrance of the meadow is currently at shoe level, so I would estimate roughly 3 feet. I've done this hike about 20 times and this was by far the most difficult passage I've had.

Snow Levels

Every year I watch the NWAC metric for base snow levels at Timberline Lodge. I try to do this hike a few times every summer, and I am always watching the snow melt to see how early I can get out there. In a typical year I wait until the snow level drops below 70 inches. Some years that's the first week of June, some years it's the first week of July. But once it falls below that level, I know that the first mile of the trail will be covered in snow and everything else will be 90% clear. Usually when I reach the meadow the wooden sign (marked 3 on the map above) has fully emerged from the snow, like this:

meadow-sign-2019.jpg

^ This was taken on June 14th, 2019 when NWAC reported 66 inches of base snow at the lodge.

This year I waited until the NWAC reported 40 inches of base snow, thinking that I would be able to hike mostly snow-free. Instead, it was the snowiest I've ever hiked it. The snow levels in the meadows and ravines were easily 40 inches higher than I expected. Here is what the sign at Paradise Park looked like:

meadow-sign.JPG

That's 3 feet of snow where I expected none. What gives? It's possible that the NWAC's telemetry is off this year. There are alerts on their site explaining that the equipment they use to measure wind is in need of repair, maybe that's true of their snow measurements too. Another hypothesis is that some of the slopes on this part of the mountain received an inordinately large amount of snow this winter that simply isn't reflected in the measurements at the lodge.

Whatever the reason, it was way snowier than I expected. Right now it is nearly impossible to stay on the trail in the first mile of the hike because it's all deep under snow. The choatic scramble of fallen trees makes this section even more deceptive than normal. Usually when it's snowy you can still use the gaps between trees to guess at a logical path, but now everything is dusted with debris. Your best bet is to try to follow the footsteps of other travelers. When you do lose the trail, it's not too difficult to regain it once you reach the deeper ravines (you can see where the trail climbs back up the far side), but it is also really easy to get turned around in this section and find yourself way downhill of the path. It doesn't help that the melting snow is like loose sand that saps your energy and taxes your ankles.

Fallen Trees

Once you pass Zigzag overlook there is that beautiful soutwest-facing hillside of beargrass, which is currently juuuust about to bloom:

beargrass-hill.JPG

One of the reasons I always try to get onto this trail in June is to catch these incredible flowers in the act of blossoming:

beargrass-opening.JPG

At this point in the trail you fall below the timberline as you begin the long downhill to the Zigzag River. This section, between the spots marked 1 and 2 on the map above, is in rough shape right now. Here is a look at one of the switchbacks, where you can see trees blocking the path on both the uphill and downhill sides:

both-directions.JPG

This slope of the mountain faces the Northwest and it clearly took a lot of damage this winter:

trail-damage.JPG

The greatest damage was on a steep switchback, where two fully grown trees have fallen across the path and require pretty significant scrambling to get around:

switchback.JPG

This is one of the most-hiked and best-maintained trails on the mountain, and in years past I have done this hike without stepping over so much as a branch. This year there are probably half a dozen full-sized trees that need to be cleared and a few dozen smaller ones. I really, really hope they do not close this trail this summer. I don't think it needs to be closed, all of the obstacles can be navigated without going off-trail. That being said, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE. Even small obstacles greatly increase the risk of falling and injuring yourself. What looks like a simple hop over a trunk or scramble over some branches can turn into a broken bone, twisted ankle, or deep gash on a sharp tree branch. Don't put yourself in a situation where somebody needs to extract you from the trail! If you aren't sure you can safely navigate an obstacle then don't attempt it.

The depth and flow of the Zigzag River at the timberline trail crossing never seems to change much. This hike was probably the fullest I've ever seen it, and it is still just a rock-hop to get across. As usual, be careful and don't hop if you don't feel confident. People seem to think they have to cross right where the trail is, but remember that you can always walk upstream and eventually you will find a more narrow crossing. There's also a kinda-cool waterfall up there.

Once you cross the River the trail is mostly snow- and debris-free. On my hike, the last ravine before your final ascent to Paradise Park was deeply snow-covered and required me to heel-notch my way across a steep slope of snow to get to the other side. This portion is pretty exposed and my guess is that crossing it will be much easier in a week. As I said earlier, the meadow itself is fully under snow. I don't think you could find a clear spot to camp out there right now, but who knows how quickly the sun will change that. Maybe in 2 weeks time?

Flora & Fauna

As usual, there was lots of delightful bird activity on this trail. I wish I was better at identifying them by call, because it's a symphony that follows you on the hike. I did see an adorable hairy woodpecker, which was making a call that sounded just like a dog's toy squeeking. I also saw for the first time a Clark's Nutcracker, which is very inquisitive bird that looks like a scrub jay except with a longer bill and a handsome tuxedo.

Lots of interesting fungal activity happening too:

mushroom-village.JPG

weird-fungus.JPG

I know very little about mushrooms, but I suspect somebody can ID them.

In addition to the emerging beargrass there are sprinkles of trillium and avalance lilies available. As you would expect, most of the wildflower adornment is yet to come.

The End

So there it is. Like I said, I hope they don't close it. Anyone considering this trail in the next week or two should be prepared for signifcant extra work due to snow. Obstacles and debris add to the challenge. If you are familiar with the trail, expect it to look a little different this year. Kind of fitting for 2021.

no-fires.JPG

Chip Down

Re: Timberline Lodge to Paradise Park, 6/23/21

Post by Chip Down » June 24th, 2021, 7:32 pm

Maybe my perception is skewed, but I swear getting to PP, by any route, involves more blowdown than other parts of the mountain. Seems like it was just a couple-three years ago that a major incident made it "impossible" for all but the hardiest hikers. As an alternative, intrepid highly-skilled hikers can drop directly into the canyon from the Zigzag overlook, and ascend directly to PP. Not recommended as a shortcut for casual hikers or those with children tagging along. ;) Another alternative, if memory serves, is to get over to the west side of the canyon, and then ascend directly up the edge of the canyon. That cuts out some of the forest stretches. Could get a little hairy if clouds roll in, and you have to find your way back in low visibility. Climbing over a few trees is probably easier/safer.

I'm surprised at your beargrass pic. I've seen more than expected this year, in places I wouldn't expect to see it thriving. Maybe it's an altitude thing. I've been lower than usual this year.

Dylan

Post by Dylan » June 24th, 2021, 7:59 pm

Yes, I think the beargrass accompanying this hike is pretty late to bloom compared to lower elevations. There are a few hillsides of beargrass on this hike that aren’t even as far along as the one in this photo. Should be a treat well into July.

I don’t remember the incident you speak of, but I believe it. I’m amazed each year at how clear this trail remains. I can’t speak for other routes to Paradise Park, but I’ve done this hike in June for 8 of the past 10 summers, and I’ve never seen more than one or two trees down on the entire route.

To be clear, the blowdown on the trail is not a serious impediment. I wouldn’t expect it to deter many travelers, especially folks who are determined to do this hike before the snow melts. But people of all abilities hike, and one person’s speed bump is another person’s brick wall.

drm

Post by drm » June 25th, 2021, 2:07 pm

That's 3 feet of snow where I expected none. What gives?
Up at Rainier, climber blogs were reporting low snow levels up high where only climbers go, but down in hiker terrain, the snowpack was way above average. There was a suggestion that our sunny and dry spring melted snow more up high where it is unprotected, but lower down in the thick forests, heavy snow persisted. That was educated speculation, but maybe it happened on Hood too.

TwoPaw

Post by TwoPaw » June 25th, 2021, 2:50 pm

Hey Dylan - thanks for your timely report - especially with the super useful snow depth info. It is a curious thing about all the snow remaining compared to other years. I'm not an expert but part of the answer may be how or when the white stuff fell over the winter season. If the snow fell in larger cluster events and then compacted relatively quickly that could have reduced evaporative loss. In the old days before refrigerators ice houses would take advantage of the fact that ice itself can act as an insulator. But hey, I'm speculating without a license.

As to the trail itself here's hoping the FS can get this cleared - doesn't appear to be Muddy Fork scale type of damage.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » June 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Hey Dylan! Looks like we just missed each other. I didn't see any other footprints in the snow, so you must have come after me.

Fantastic TR! It's always interesting to see the same thing from some else's perspective.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Water

Post by Water » June 25th, 2021, 3:15 pm

great TR. thanks for sharing. 14 years in portland, campouts atop barrett spur, multiple hood climbs by multiple routes.. and i've still never been to Paradise Park. Maybe this will be the year.. :lol:

DRM's relay of upper mountain melt w/ lower mountain snow from Rainier also held true at Adams. In mid-May the upper mountain looked like late June, maybe even July in an average+ snow year. But down low the road was still blocked by snow.

I think in an average year april-may with plenty of showers but obviously it's still warmer than winter, means you get liquid precip down low (below 6-7k) which is the singular fastest cause to melt snow (more than even hot temps), but the upper mountains get fresh recharges. I can remember skiing big powder days with a spring pass in late April at Timberline.. this year it was perfect weather and I was replacing my roof at home with blue skies day after day
Feel Free to Feel Free

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 25th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Water wrote:
June 25th, 2021, 3:15 pm
this year it was perfect weather and I was replacing my roof at home with blue skies day after day
If I were replacing my roof in western Oregon in April I think this would suit me just fine. :D

Dylan

Post by Dylan » June 25th, 2021, 7:56 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:
June 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm
Hey Dylan! Looks like we just missed each other. I didn't see any other footprints in the snow, so you must have come after me.
Hi! Yes I came after you. I left Timberline Lodge parking lot around 9am.

I saw your footprints throughout the trail, but they were faint enough that I wasn’t sure if they were from the day before. I didn’t see any prints heading back so I figured you were out ahead of me, but then when I got to PP the prints were no more. Of course now I know that you went on to Mississippi Head. Looks like a cool route. I enjoyed reading your report.

I actually saw 5 other people on the trail. One very nice solo hiker who turned around before the Park and then a group of 4 college-age hikers around zigzag overlook.

Dylan

Post by Dylan » June 25th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Water wrote:
June 25th, 2021, 3:15 pm
DRM's relay of upper mountain melt w/ lower mountain snow from Rainier also held true at Adams. In mid-May the upper mountain looked like late June, maybe even July in an average+ snow year. But down low the road was still blocked by snow.

I think in an average year april-may with plenty of showers but obviously it's still warmer than winter, means you get liquid precip down low (below 6-7k) which is the singular fastest cause to melt snow (more than even hot temps), but the upper mountains get fresh recharges.
Ohhhhh. Okay, this is all making sense. Combine this with drm’s and TwoPaw’s descriptions and I am getting a clearer idea of the variety of factors that affect snow melt. Gosh, I have a lot to learn.

Now I can’t wait to get back to this trail later in the summer and see how the flowers unfold. The conditions on this particular hike have been astonishingly consistent over the past 10 summers, to the point where I have been able to hike it and predict what flowers will be in bloom on a given hillside with pretty good accuracy. But I have a feeling the trail will have a lot more surprises for me this summer.