Paradise Park Snow Report: 6/23/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Born2BBrad

Paradise Park Snow Report: 6/23/21

Post by Born2BBrad » June 24th, 2021, 11:54 am

What: Trip to Paradise Park and Mississippi Head
When: 6/23/21

Opening picture:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Information

Route: Timberline Lodge (5950’), PCT/TT jct (6075’), Zigzag Crossing (4775’), Paradise Park Trail jct (5020’), PP Shelter (5775’), up ridge to Mississippi Head saddle (7200’), over Mississippi Head to above Zigzag headwall (8061’), down snowfield back to PCT/TT (5960’), back to TL
Miles: 10
EG: 3800’
People encountered: 0

Google Earth overview:

Topographical overview:

Elevation Profile:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trip Narrative and Pictures

This will be a short TR, for me anyway.

The quick answer is there is a lot of snow getting to Paradise Park, but not as much as I thought there would be.

Much of the route could be easily followed without the aid of GPS navigation. However, there were several stretches that a GPS with actual tracks were heavily relied upon. Microspikes were used most of the time.

With the heat wave coming, a week from now a GPS will likely not be necessary. There will still be some sidehill snow walking. Camping spots in Paradise Park might not be melted out either.

Paved path up to PCT/TT:

Snow by the communication towers:

Not too far after communication towers:

Some sections were patchy:

Signposts just before entering wilderness:

Little Zigzag Canyon:

There is a section of the PCT/TT after Little Zigzag Canyon where the trail has a gooseneck, changes direction and heads downhill. That section was also covered in snow, and had some downed trees to navigate around. That was the most difficult place to stay on the trail and required a GPS.

The trail is somewhere under the snow:

Almost at Zigzag overlook:

Gotta have a Zigzag overlook picture:

My biggest concern was the switchbacks going down to the Zigzag crossing. Those are in a canyon with steep sides. Often times, snow melts out later in canyons due to less sun exposure. Sidehilling on steep snow banks is not my idea of fun. Turns out the snow was not an impediment. There were a bunch of downed trees that were more of a problem, but not too bad.

There were a few spots like this:

Nothing too bad:

Under. Too big for over. Maybe when I was younger.

There were a couple of section just before the Paradise Park junction that a GPS was very helpful. Other than that, from the Zigzag crossing to the junction, the trail was mostly bare, or easily readable. Then, just before getting to Paradise Park, the snow increased.

Sign just before Paradise Park:

Normally when doing the Mississippi Head loop, I start climbing closer to Paradise Park, or over by Split Rock. Due to the snow, I started by the sign.

Heading uphill. Yes, I removed this flagging and others:

The ridge is snow-free for a stretch:

Western pasque flower:

Getting higher, Mississippi Head escarpment on the right:

Looking back down:

Zoomed in on Split Rock:

At a certain point the ridge meets a small saddle I call Mississippi Head Saddle. It is there that a steep snowbank must be climbed to get above Mississippi Head. Most of the snowbank lasts all summer, and is actually easier to climb with snow, rather than loose volcanic rock and sand. It is steep and should not be attempted by inexperienced hikers. Microspikes and hiking poles should be used.

Steep snow bank at Mississippi Head saddle:

Looking back down the steep snowbank:

To continue the loop, you must climb above the Zigzag headwall to at least 8000’ onto lower Zigzag Glacier. In late summer it is more difficult with less snow because of loose, scrambly volcanic rock and sand. Another option is to climb up Zigzag Glacier over to Illumination Saddle at 9400’.

On lower Zigzag Glacier, ready to start heading down:

Highest this year… so far:

Once above the Zigzag headwall, there are a multitude of possible routes back to Timberline Lodge. The ski lifts can usually be seen as a guide. Then it’s soft snow most of the way down.

----------------------------------------------------

Final Comment
• No parking pass needed at Timberline Lodge parking lot.
• Didn’t stop long enough to notice any bugs.
• Mississippi Head loop is very difficult and possibly dangerous. If attempting, go with someone who has done it before. Don’t do it if weather is not clear.
• Didn’t feel the need to check out the plane crash debris.
• Don’t rely on following someone else’s footprints in the snow. 1) They might not have known where they were going. 2) Footprints in the snow can melt, fade away in the heat, or be covered by debris.
• Voice, text and data available many places along the route, but not everywhere.
• Will probably do this route again on Friday. It’s the perfect conditioning hike.
• Can you tell by my TRs I am an analyst by trade and by nature?
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Born2BBrad

Re: Paradise Park Snow Report: 6/23/21

Post by Born2BBrad » June 25th, 2021, 3:06 pm

Update: Today, two days later

After a week of 100 degree weather coming up, there will be even much more snow melt. Today I didn’t have to refer to my GPS to stay on the trail. My prediction is most of the Paradise Park camp spots will be melted out for the Fourth of July weekend.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

ghsmith76

Post by ghsmith76 » June 27th, 2021, 9:02 am

Thanks for the report. I am starting my annual Timberline Trail Trek on July 11. It will be interesting to see how much snow will melt by then especially due to this heat wave.
GHSMITH76
Blog:AdventureContinues.org

Dylan

Post by Dylan » June 27th, 2021, 10:48 am

Born2BBrad wrote:
June 25th, 2021, 3:06 pm
Update: Today, two days later

Wow, thanks for posting this. I wondered how quickly these sunny days would reduce the snow on the meadow, but I didn’t expect it to go that fast!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 27th, 2021, 12:47 pm

97 F at Government Camp

That sign should be clear quickly

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 27th, 2021, 5:55 pm

Dylan wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 10:48 am
I wondered how quickly these sunny days would reduce the snow on the meadow, but I didn’t expect it to go that fast!
A couple stories:
1. I returned to a meadow on Adams that was deep snow a week before, and found it bare, grassy, with the trail running right through it. Hikers would never imagine it had been snowy a week before.
2. After two nights on Adams Glacier, I broke camp and laughed at the platform where my tent had been. Snow was melted all around it, leaving a plateau where my tent had blocked the sun.

It's amazing snowfields can persist through the summer. When you look at a creek flowing from a fairly small snowfield, it seems like the snow should all be gone in a week. But miraculously, they hang in there, week after week, as if the snow fairies sneak in at night and lay a bit more down.
retired jerry wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 12:47 pm
97 F at Government Camp
WTF?! Jerry, have you lost your marbles, or are you just lying to us? Oh, wait, there's another possibility...we live in weird times. I assume that's an all-time record for Timberline.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 27th, 2021, 9:09 pm

This record-smashing June heat wave feels more like the start of a new epoch than like just another heat wave. :shock:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 28th, 2021, 5:11 am

Government Camp was 97 F according to TV weather person. 4000 feet elevation

Timberline is 6000 feet. Probably cooler.

I wonder if this is an effect of global warming. Successive summers keep getting hotter.

drm

Post by drm » June 28th, 2021, 6:30 am

Re snow melting rates. In a typical late spring heat wave, snotels will drop 3-4 inches per day. Most snotels are already melted out, but I have been following Paradise at Rainier, and it is losing about 7"/day. The max temp measured at the Paradise snotel yesterday was 83.5*.

TwoPaw

Post by TwoPaw » June 28th, 2021, 12:24 pm

Isn't anyone else going to head out and take another pic of the paradise loop sign? We need updates.