Paradise Park Snow Report: 6/23/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
eg83

Re: Paradise Park Snow Report: 6/23/21

Post by eg83 » July 3rd, 2021, 8:24 am

Wow even I didn't catch 7/31. :D

Weasel

Post by Weasel » July 6th, 2021, 8:17 am

According to the TKO trail parties page, there should have been a crew in the ZigZag river area last weekend de-limbing those trees, and there will be a party in July or August cross-cutting them. They're going to be there for a while, methinks! https://www.trailkeepersoforegon.org/events/

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 7th, 2021, 3:25 pm

I did the full Paradise Park loop today and can update.

TRAIL: from the Lodge down to the Zigzag has been entirely cleared or cleaned up. There are still several trees on the trail, some too big to just step over and some too low to gracefully duck under, but they are all just bare logs and entirely straightforward to get past. The closest thing to an issue is a couple big rootballs on a switchback end in Zigzag canyon, but there is a clear-if-precipitous path through, and a sign saying it's a TKO work in progress. As I remember what it was like in October, I'd say it's current state looks great. The PCT side of the loop hasn't had any attention, but there wasn't much that needed it. The one thing that was an issue there was right at the junction of the PCT and Paradise Park 778. The PCT was buried in debris. It was an easy walk through the woods to go around if you knew where you were going, but if you aren't familiar with the trail I think it would be really easy to get confused and start heading down 778. The way the trail's blocked makes it look like that's the way you're supposed to go.

SNOW: still some token patchy sections

ZIGZAG CROSSING: easy. There's a ridiculously small shard of wood perilously balanced on two rocks over a narrow channel that it doesn't quite fit across properly, but it holds. Everything beyond that is an easy rock hop.

BUGS: minor. I picked up a few bites when I stopped moving, but really nothing. Never bothered to put on repellent.

JBG

Post by JBG » July 10th, 2021, 6:12 pm

Timberline to Ramona Falls this weekend. Lot's of traffic, very little snow, a bit of mud on the switch backs in ZigZag which made it slick. Crossing was easy as squidviscious mentioned. Flies were bad under the trees, but they didn't bite much. No skeeters.

The flowers aren't quite in bloom yet, but lots of Bear Grass everywhere. I'm headed back in a couple of weeks with my niece, so hopefully there will be more flowers.
IMG_2631.jpg
IMG_2626.jpg
On the other side of the Park the Roddies have started to bloom and Ramona Falls is beautiful as ever.
IMG_2667.jpg
The Sandy crossing was tricky. I looked for a spot with a log, but ended up rock hopping and getting my feet pretty wet.

Weasel

Post by Weasel » July 15th, 2021, 7:16 am

Weasel wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 8:17 am
According to the TKO trail parties page, there should have been a crew in the ZigZag river area last weekend de-limbing those trees, and there will be a party in July or August cross-cutting them. They're going to be there for a while, methinks! https://www.trailkeepersoforegon.org/events/
Did Timberline to Paradise on 7/13, and there were crews removing trees on the trail down to the ZigZag river. They were mostly removing the easier ones, the larger ones a bit farther down will probably be there a while longer.

Flies were definitely out, and some were biting. Needed a headnet in the lower sections but once I got up to Paradise park they were few and far between.

The PCTA is looking for volunteers to improve the tread and drainage of ZigZag canyon. The project will be on 7/24.

https://connect.pcta.org/volunteer/s/pr ... zag-canyon