Mt. St. Helens Loop: Boundary West, Harrys Ridge, South Coldwater Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
proxie

Mt. St. Helens Loop: Boundary West, Harrys Ridge, South Coldwater Trail

Post by proxie » June 21st, 2021, 9:27 pm

What started out to be just an out-n-back of the Boundary West trail turned out to be a much longer 20ish mi, 3200ish ft elev gain/loss (? guessing here) giant loop because hey, I’d much rather varied scenery vs. going over the same scenery twice. Also it was a nice day and I felt up for some walkin.

Entire loop went from:
Hummocks TH —> Boundary West Trail —> Loowit Viewpoint —> Johnston Ridge Observatory --> Harry’s Ridge —> Coldwater Trail 230 —> South Coldwater Trail 230A —> South Coldwater TH —> short walk along the Route 504 back to Hummocks TH

Arrived at Hummocks TH around 10 AM and it was virtually empty save for like 2 cars. Following along the Boundary West trail was straightforward with pretty scenery any other trip report can attest to. Standard Mt. St. Helens desolation mixed with patches of green life among the mounds, with a blue horizon as backdrop.
PXL_20210620_180120928.PANO.jpg
Got to Johnston Ridge Observatory with full intention of just turning right back the same way I came as described in the standard “Boundary West” trail description, but as I stared at the overall map while munching a sandwich, I picked out more connecting trails to make it a loop.

Made way to Harry’s Ridge and enjoyed the view while munching the other half of my sandwich. Onward to Coldwater Peak!
PXL_20210620_214934247.jpg
PXL_20210620_205926884.PANO.jpg
Actually no. While snowfields along the way weren’t too difficult to cross, completely ascending to the top of Coldwater Peak was a no-go. Too much snow and it did not look safe. So continued on Coldwater Trail 230.
PXL_20210620_214652683.jpg
Snowfields at this point were still not too bad, but it did make it a bit more adventurous with making sure was on right path. Fortunately, even this late in the day, footprints were still visible. Not too much to view along the Coldwater Trail. There was a nice cliffs type view along the way, but you soon lose sight of St. Helens. Made way past Ridge Camp to the Coldwater Trail 230 / South Coldwater Trail 230A junction.

Turning on the South Coldwater Trail was initially viewless until the actual Coldwater Lake appeared down below. Then it became a much nicer walk along a ridge, with the sun shimmering in the lake. There’s some old machinery left up there too which was interesting.
PXL_20210620_235435337.jpg
Came out the South Coldwater TH, short 1 mile walk along route 504 back to my parked car at Hummocks TH.

This entire loop was 80% unshaded. I had plenty of water, electrolytes, and a sun hoodie to keep the sun from beating me down too much. Also I don’t mind hot weather when hiking. If you’re relatively fit, know your limits, and looking for a full day out hiking or a trail run, stringing these together should be something to consider.

Start Hummocks TH: 10:05 AM
Johnston Ridge Observatory: 12:05 PM
Harry’s Ridge: 1:40 PM
Ridge Camp: 4:05 PM
Trail 230/230a Junction: 4:15 PM
South Coldwater TH: 5:25 PM
End Hummocks TH: 5:45 PM

BaileyBoy

Re: Mt. St. Helens Loop: Boundary West, Harrys Ridge, South Coldwater Trail

Post by BaileyBoy » June 22nd, 2021, 9:33 am

Nice report, great photos, and thanks for the info since I plan on hiking the South Coldwater trail 230A to the junction with the Lakes Trail 211 and back on it to the parking lot. I have a dog and he's allowed on both of those trails since they're outside the wilderness area.

Did you find any water sources on 230A and any touchy trail areas since my wife can be uncomfortable on eroded areas.

Thanks

proxie

Post by proxie » June 22nd, 2021, 4:12 pm

I wasn't paying attention that closely, but on 230A, I am 90% sure that there was "not" any water sources. On 230 on ascent to Coldwater peak, there may be a couple with the melting snow, but that was about it.

The only sketchiness may have been on Boundary West and through some of the snow fields on Coldwater Trail 230. That was it. I felt completely fine, but everyone has their own personal risk tolerance. South Coldwater Trail 230A seemed to have zero sketch to it.

HeadWest

Post by HeadWest » June 22nd, 2021, 6:33 pm

Nice report. Thank you. Did you happen to notice if there was any water in the proximity of Ridge Camp?

proxie

Post by proxie » June 22nd, 2021, 6:41 pm

I actually wandered around the camp a bit (no one was setup at the time) to figure out where the water source was, but sorry I didn't notice any. Not to say there isn't. I'd think there has to be, otherwise it's not a good place for a camp. If you were thinking to camp up there, best to call St. Helens ranger stations or something.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » June 23rd, 2021, 12:09 pm

HeadWest wrote:
June 22nd, 2021, 6:33 pm
Nice report. Thank you. Did you happen to notice if there was any water in the proximity of Ridge Camp?
There was no reliable water source at Ridge Camp in past years. Now, with the prolonged drought and elevated temperatures, I wouldn't plan on finding water at that site.

HeadWest

Post by HeadWest » June 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm

keithcomess wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 12:09 pm
HeadWest wrote:
June 22nd, 2021, 6:33 pm
There was no reliable water source at Ridge Camp in past years. Now, with the prolonged drought and elevated temperatures, I wouldn't plan on finding water at that site.
How about Dome Camp?

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » June 25th, 2021, 5:14 pm

RE: water at Dome Camp, I'm not sure. Water anywhere along the Boundary Trail is problematic.You might search this site for other reports. Calls to the ranger district will be totally uninformative and mostly unreliable.