Big Huckleberry via Cedar Creek Trail # 149, 062021

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Big Huckleberry via Cedar Creek Trail # 149, 062021

Post by Don Nelsen » June 21st, 2021, 6:01 pm

In our ongoing quest to piece together sections of the PCT we’ve missed, Kel and I headed out yesterday to bag a short section south of Big Huckleberry. On the 7th, we hiked from road 68-020 to the upper junction with the Cedar Creek Trail (AKA Weigle Hill Trail for the lower section) and turned around there. Encountering this trail was a surprise for us on the 7th, but intrigued us. What is this Cedar Creek Trail you may ask? Here are a couple of TR’s posted in years past, with some good info from a few more who chimed in:

Pablo

And: Pablo, part 2

I hadn’t remembered these two TR’s but that’s probably because I’m so ancient I could have forgotten about them – or, it looked like more than I was willing to suffer for. Anyway, after getting home from the hike on the 7th, I did a little research and decided I at least wanted to check out the section between road 68 and the PCT if I could find where the trail started. The above TR’s served to assist and after my usual lightning start, we hit the trail at 2 pm. Thanks Pablo, and the others who chimed in on these TR’s! (Later, I plan to do the rest of the trail from Cedar Creek Road, but Kel says no way for her so it’ll be a solo hike.) BTW, all the signs pictured in the previous TR’s are gone for some reason. Who does things like that!?

The TH from the 68 Road:
IMG_2485.JPG
The trail tread on the upper part of Cedar Cr. Tr. is in great shape, but there are four big trees down that required some work to get over.
IMG_2487.JPG
Three are about 16” diameter and one about 18”. All a bit off the ground where they fell across the trail so Kel had a fun time getting past.
IMG_2544.JPG
Another dozen or so smaller trees litter the route, all between about 4” to about 12” diameter. Those were no big deal but it wouldn’t hurt to take them out.

I picked up a few dozen sticks and branches but there’s still some work needed to finish the job. Some clipper work would be helpful too, but the trail is very easy to follow, all the way. As reported, there’s a fine campsite near Cedar Creek crossing.
IMG_2499.JPG
Once we got to the PCT, it was a straight forward trek up to Big Huckleberry for some great views and a fine lunch.
Upper junction of Cedar Creek and PCT:
IMG_2508.JPG
The smoke from the S-503 fire on the Warm Springs reservation slowly engulfed Mt. Hood as we ate our lunch and completely obscured Jefferson but the air was clear in all other directions.

Hood before the smoke obscured it:
IMG_2512.JPG
After:
IMG_2533.JPG
We saw no one once we left road 65 and continued driving on the gravel 68 road - except a couple of bicyclists when we were on our way back.

Though the temperature was a little higher than we like for a hike, 75 or so, there was a nice breeze at all times that made this another great day in the woods.

4.6 miles RT, hike # 51

dn
Attachments
Big Huckleberry 062021.jpg
Kel at Creek.jpg
IMG_2536.JPG
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2517.JPG
IMG_2511.JPG
Last edited by Don Nelsen on June 21st, 2021, 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Re: Big Huckleberry via Cedar Creek Trail # 149, 062021

Post by Chip Down » June 21st, 2021, 7:46 pm

all the signs pictured in the previous TR’s are gone for some reason. Who does things like that!?
The sign on Rd 68 for the northbound trail is alongside the road. I wasn't looking for it, just happened to spot it on May 4. No trail nearby.
Attachments
7.jpg

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 21st, 2021, 7:50 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 6:01 pm
... we hit the trail at 2 pm...the temperature was a little higher than we like for a hike...
You don't say! :lol:

jime

Post by jime » June 21st, 2021, 8:04 pm

Good one! Here’s a related hike idea. Last year I parked at the same Cedar Creek trail you did, hiked to Big Huckleberry, then on to Grassy Knoll. Returned part way to Cold Springs Camp where there’s a short cut trail back down to the road. From there, a road walk back to the car to complete a loop.

Last year when I found the Cedar Creek trail, there was a trail sign laying down a little past because they had recently done a major regrading of the road.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 21st, 2021, 8:17 pm

Chip Down wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 7:46 pm
all the signs pictured in the previous TR’s are gone for some reason. Who does things like that!?
The sign on Rd 68 for the northbound trail is alongside the road. I wasn't looking for it, just happened to spot it on May 4. No trail nearby.
Interesting. Here is the sign on road 68 that Pablo posted and this was where we started up the trail but was not there yesterday. Where is the sign in your photo?
cedar sign Pablo.jpg

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 21st, 2021, 9:07 pm

Here's what my metadata shows:

lat 45;49;52
long 121;47;51
alt 892

That's clearly bogus, but it's all I can offer.

drm

Post by drm » June 22nd, 2021, 6:17 am

Trail sign vandalism is a huge problem. I can think of a number of places where the Forest Service repeatedly replaced signs, but eventually gave up.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 22nd, 2021, 9:16 am

Chip Down wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 9:07 pm
Here's what my metadata shows:

lat 45;49;52
long 121;47;51
alt 892

That's clearly bogus, but it's all I can offer.
Thanks Chip. Your coordinates mark a spot 750' to the SW of where the we started up. Interesting that your sign and the one Pablo saw are different. Odd about the altitude being so far off.

Your data on my map - the yellow dot marks the spot: I'll have to go check that out - perhaps the sign you found was for the trail south of the road and ended up moved after road reconstruction?
Cedar sign, Chip.jpg
Also, here's the sign Pablo found 10 years ago at the junction with the PCT: Not a normal FS sign, but close.
Cedar, upper pablo.jpg
And the same location when I was there on the 7th:
IMG_2310.JPG
dn

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 22nd, 2021, 12:21 pm

I'm looking for something to do. Maybe I'll go reposition that sign tomorrow.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 22nd, 2021, 4:45 pm

jime wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 8:04 pm
Good one! Here’s a related hike idea. Last year I parked at the same Cedar Creek trail you did, hiked to Big Huckleberry, then on to Grassy Knoll. Returned part way to Cold Springs Camp where there’s a short cut trail back down to the road. From there, a road walk back to the car to complete a loop.

Last year when I found the Cedar Creek trail, there was a trail sign laying down a little past because they had recently done a major regrading of the road.
Thanks for the comment and info. I wonder if the sign Chip found is the same one.

Do you have a GPS track of the trail descending from Cold Springs Camp to the road 68. I'd like to check that one out and it looks like a good candidate for an easier loop.

dn