Big Huckleberry via Cedar Creek Trail # 149, 062021

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Re: Big Huckleberry via Cedar Creek Trail # 149, 062021

Post by Chip Down » June 23rd, 2021, 9:25 pm

Well, this was an interesting day.

I said (above) that I might go looking for that Cedar Creek Trail sign today. As I was approaching the trail (location noted by Don on map above), I was watching carefully so as not to go right past it. Well, turns out I didn't need to be so cautious, as there was a distinctive vehicle parked right at the trail! I was surprised to see somebody parked there, and it probably took me all of five seconds to realize who it had to be. Before going up the trail to introduce myself, I continued down the road to find that sign. As discussed above, Don suggested I look just a little downhill from the trail. Well drat, I went a considerable distance, and no luck. Everything is all green and overgrown now, but even so, I remembered it was by a little creek (but not Cedar Creek), so that should make it easy to spot. Eventually, I gave up, and decided to try later with my car. I turned and headed back up to the trail, and as I was nearly there, it dawned on me that maybe it was the other direction, uphill from the trail. Sure enough, from the actual trail, the sign was maybe 60 ft up the road. Yes, I felt foolish for overlooking it. It was flat on the ground, maybe about 30 ft from the road. Without knowing where to look, Don never could have spotted it. So it's now in its proper place, but leaned against a tree. Its post needs to be sunk into the ground, or perhaps more sensibly it can be anchored to a tree.

Next fun find: Without even looking for it, I spotted what has to be the bottom of the Cold Spring Trail. It's actually really clear, you can't miss it if you're looking for it. Although it depends on which direction you're driving. Westbound on 68 it could be hard to spot; eastbound it's easy. I walked up the trail a bit to see if it's signed. It is: "Alway Trail".
Attachments
Capture.JPG
20210623_131032.jpg
"Alway Trail", presumably to Cold Spring Camp
20210623_131431.jpg

jime

Post by jime » June 24th, 2021, 5:48 am

Yes, Chip found the Alway trail that leads to Cold Spring. It is pretty obvious. GPS coordinate3s 45.8332, -121.7799. There are a series of cute hand made signs along the Alway trail. At Cold Spring Camp, there's a sign which commemorates George Alway (1906-1993).

My hike, including out and back to Grassy Knoll, was 9.3 miles. The loop, returning on road 68, would be about 6 miles.
Cold_Spring_Alway_Trail_map.jpg
My GPS Track

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 24th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Chip,

Thanks for documenting the Alway trail. On my short list now.

Definitely an interesting day! When you posted that you may go back to place the sign you saw in May, and it wasn't up when I got to the TH, I guessed you decided to do something else. I was surprised at first when you showed up and introduced yourself at 11 or so as I was clearing a small log. Since you are usually a guy who hits the trail many hours before I do. My sleep deprived brain didn't register it was you for a few seconds. Good to meet you!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 24th, 2021, 1:37 pm

jime,

Thanks for the map and info!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller