Bald Mountain from Lolo Pass 2021.06.21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
squidvicious

Bald Mountain from Lolo Pass 2021.06.21

Post by squidvicious » June 21st, 2021, 1:12 pm

I had two goals today: to get up out of the heat, and to try to get a look at the north side of the loop around Bald Mountain, which I've been reading is borderline impassible. Hit the trailhead at 8:30, so doing OK on the heat.

The first section of trail through the switchbacks up to the ridge was in fine shape. There were two places with trees down, but simple over/unders. There were even some smatterings of snow hanging on here and there. The largest bits on the trail were a couple sections of several yards. Just enough to be happy for on a hot summer day. Bugs were buzzing me a bit, but nobody was biting.

Up on the top of the ridge things started out clear. And then... Just after you hit that one good little viewpoint, you hit trees down. Tree after tree after tree. And they're all a pain in some way: lots of messy brush, chest high, the trail edge where you need to stand has been completely obliterated by the people who came through before you, etc. No individual one was actually difficult to get past, but they were just constant, and completely unexpected to me since the reports I'd read had all talked about the TT without being clear that the PCT also had issues. It did let up for a stretch in the last third or so, then came back all the way to the junction.

From there around the south side of Bald Mountain to the cutoff trail was clear and perfect. Even the side trail to the top of Bald Mountain was easy to spot, although I skipped that today. Some flowers were doing their thing, the sky was clear, and the view was lovely. There weren't people when I got there, but they started pouring in pretty steadily behind me.

On to see what I can see on the other side of the loop. Again, the trail up to the cutoff was clear--I saw what looked to be fresh cuts, so I guess that's been cleaned up just recently. The cutoff was not clear, but you don't actually need a trail for that. I did start down the other side a little ways, thinking it really wasn't as bad as I'd expected, but it pretty quickly got thicker, and from what I could see looking ahead didn't improve, and I didn't have a good reason to mess with that, so back I went the way I came.

Still a good day out, and honestly the blowdown didn't seem as bad on the way back once I knew to expect it.

Aimless

Re: Bald Mountain from Lolo Pass 2021.06.21

Post by Aimless » June 21st, 2021, 2:07 pm

Yup, the opinion of experienced hikers who've checked out that trail section are that the trail is basically destroyed for about two miles. It's worse than just straightforward bushwhacking through the undergrowth; there are too many big trees knocked over and jumbled on top of one another to get through safely and it's not just over the trail itself. That windstorm blew down a wide swath of the forest.

It'll be interesting to see what you make of approaching the opposite side via Ramona.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 21st, 2021, 5:40 pm

There are days I'm tempted to go check that out. It's good that others have posted TRs that dissuade me.

I don't understand why you started so late on a hot day. :geek:

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 22nd, 2021, 4:51 am

This is just the loop encircling Bald Mountain

KDfishbiologist

Post by KDfishbiologist » June 28th, 2021, 10:48 am

squidvicious wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 1:12 pm
Tree after tree after tree. And they're all a pain in some way: lots of messy brush, chest high, the trail edge where you need to stand has been completely obliterated by the people who came through before you, etc. No individual one was actually difficult to get past, but they were just constant, and completely unexpected to me since the reports I'd read had all talked about the TT without being clear that the PCT also had issues. It did let up for a stretch in the last third or so, then came back all the way to the junction.
Newbie question after having never been up Bald Mountain: where along the PCT does this start? Supposed to be heading through here on the PCT this weekend, and thought most of the damage was on the TT.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » June 28th, 2021, 11:42 am

KDfishbiologist wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 10:48 am
Newbie question after having never been up Bald Mountain: where along the PCT does this start? Supposed to be heading through here on the PCT this weekend, and thought most of the damage was on the TT.
The part I was on was from the junction of the TT / PCT / Top Spur & covering the majority of the trail north from there for I think maybe a mile, with one decently clear stretch. But I don't want to give the impression that it's anything that would stop you. It was a pain, and all the more so for being unexpected, but manageable enough. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's been trail work already since then.

I also talked to another hiker who had come from Ramona Falls to Bald Mountain on the PCT and she said that was worse than she expected as well. Not sure if she was saying trail conditions specifically or just... everything. I do think she mentioned see trail crews at work.

KDfishbiologist

Post by KDfishbiologist » June 28th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Nah, this is helpful. I don't mind tree hopping at all -- just didn't want to put myself in a SAR situation, especially over the busy holiday weekend. Much appreciated!