Tarbell TH (north) to Silver Star Summit Loop, 06/19/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
KDfishbiologist

Tarbell TH (north) to Silver Star Summit Loop, 06/19/21

Post by KDfishbiologist » June 21st, 2021, 8:53 am

As a big fan of loops, I decided to try a new (to me) way up Silver Star as a training hike for some upcoming backpacks. Obes and I headed out from the Tarbell TH (north off L-1210) around 9am this past Saturday. Small lot, but no issues finding a spot. A couple picnic tables and one spot that looked like a campsite right near the TH. The trail was really nice and the forest cool as the clouds were a bit low. We crossed a road and caught some views at Kloochman Butte.

Between miles 3 and 4, we connected with the Chinook Trail 180B on the left, and the climbing began. The trail kept intersecting a rocky old road so we hopped from trail to road to trail as we climbed up and up and up. Found a really nice camp spot off the road that someone has taken good care of as there was a fire ring and a stack of wood. The campsite was in the trees, but opened to this beautiful flat spot where I bet the stars look pretty amazing on a clear night. We intersected with the Silver Star trail and caught our first glimpse of the Cascades (and started hitting the crowds). What a nice sight after my last two trips up Silver Star were socked in with fog. We hopped over to Ed's Trail and enjoyed the easy ascent and the views, then went back to the Silver Star trail to the summit.

Beautiful clear day with easy views of Helens, Rainier, Adams, Hood, Jefferson, and I think you could almost make out Sisters way in the distance. Obes ate half my lunch and enjoyed his JIF cup as a pika squeaked from the rocks below. We packed up and headed on our way as lots of people were on the summit. Gaia showed 2 ways to connect with the Sturgeon Rock trail and after seeing a downed tree over the more northern segment, I opted for the second by taking a left down Grouse Vista then a right onto the Sturgeon Rock trail. This was my least favorite decision and segment of the day.

The top of Sturgeon Rock Trail 180C (specifically the more southern segment to get onto the trail) was a rocky, dry creekbed with downed trees and lots of ankle breakers. This steep descent felt like a never-ending slog. Trail is passable, but slow going and my toes were pretty sore by the end of it. I was pretty thankful to hit the Tarbell again and head right towards Hidden Falls. Some more descents in the hot sun made for a slow go of things, but both the dog and I were pretty excited when Coyote Creek came into view and we got a reprieve from the sun. We took a short rest on the bench by the creek before heading on past Hidden Falls and starting the ascent back up. I think it was 2.2 miles from the falls back to the connector with the Chinook trail where we had passed earlier. Another 3ish miles and we were back at the trailhead.

According to the Gaia app, the whole route was 15.4 miles and about 3700 feet gain. Very few people on the Tarbell, lots of people on Grouse Vista and the summit. Only one tick acquired, on me since I had tick treated the dog, but did not tick treat myself (whoops!). Happy trails, all!
Attachments
HiddenFalls.jpg
Hidden Falls
HikeLoop5.jpg
HikeLoop4.jpg
Happy pup
HikeLoop3.jpg
HikeLoop6.jpg
Obie and the Cascades
HikeLoop1.jpg
Lollipop Route

Chip Down

Re: Tarbell TH (north) to Silver Star Summit Loop, 06/19/21

Post by Chip Down » June 21st, 2021, 11:14 am

Ah, so we missed each other. I know you saw my South TR from Saturday. I saw a lot of people, but would have remembered your woofer.
Gaia showed 2 ways to connect with the Sturgeon Rock trail and after seeing a downed tree over the more northern segment, I opted for the second by taking a left down Grouse Vista then a right onto the Sturgeon Rock trail. This was my least favorite decision and segment of the day.

The top of Sturgeon Rock Trail 180C (specifically the more southern segment to get onto the trail) was a rocky, dry creekbed with downed trees and lots of ankle breakers. This steep descent felt like a never-ending slog.
Yeah, I looked down that road and decided it wasn't the best pace for a bike, so continued north to catch the trail, which eventually connects to the dreadful road. That downed tree you observed was the first of several. I didn't remember that old road being quite so rugged, but more often than not it's under snow when I'm there.

Surprised to hear you picked up a tick. I once had to extract one on Starway Trail, but I had hiked in the gorge the prior day, so I wondered if maybe it was left over from that trip, lurking in clothes or pack or car. It does seem their range is expanding. Soon, we'll see them on glaciers.

KDfishbiologist

Re: Tarbell TH (north) to Silver Star Summit Loop, 06/19/21

Post by KDfishbiologist » June 21st, 2021, 1:43 pm

Chip Down wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 11:14 am
Ah, so we missed each other. I know you saw my South TR from Saturday. I saw a lot of people, but would have remembered your woofer.

Surprised to hear you picked up a tick. I once had to extract one on Starway Trail, but I had hiked in the gorge the prior day, so I wondered if maybe it was left over from that trip, lurking in clothes or pack or car. It does seem their range is expanding. Soon, we'll see them on glaciers.
He's a cute ham that wanted to be friends with everyone. Must've just missed each other. We went off a jeep road to look at a campsite and walked out into a grassy area. Wonder if I picked it up there. Sneaky little *bleeps* He was latched onto my neck just under my shirt, which I discovered while driving back to the Couve. Fun times :lol: