Bunker Hill, 6/20/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxalex

Bunker Hill, 6/20/21

Post by pdxalex » June 21st, 2021, 6:58 am

Our Father’s Day hike this year was the short, vigorous climb of Bunker Hill in the thriving metropolis of Hemlock/Stabler. It is hard to come up with compelling reasons to hike up this hill. You don’t get any views from the top. The rock ledge below the summit offers views east and south but nothing grand. There were few wildflowers on display although the one meadow was stocked with daisies. We saw no wildlife other than some biting flies and a few mosquitos. We did see an old trunk that looked like it had been torn up by a bear. But, if you’re getting a late start, don’t want to drive more than 90 minutes from Portland, want a little bit of a workout, and don’t want to deal with other people, this is the place. We saw 4 people the entire time, two runners on the PCT and a young couple struggling up the switchbacks as we descended. There were 4 cars at the Trout Creek trailhead at 1100, none at 1300. In the end, it was just a pleasant walk in the woods with my wife which is good enough for me.
IMG_1365.JPG
We did notice one oddity with the maps of the area. At some point the PCT must have been redirected. The USGS map would have you think that the segment from the trailhead crosses the Whistlepunk Trail road and reenters the forest direct opposite of it. That is not the case. The trail actually pops out about 150 yards south (see the light blue line on the picture below). We were confused for a few moments because this was far from what the USGS map indicates. There is what appears to be a short user trail off the main one that comes out a little closer but it starts when you’re almost at the road so it doesn’t save much time or effort. I have since noticed that the map on Gaia is a better representation of the route than the USGS map.
InkedBunkerHillMap_LI.jpg

Chip Down

Re: Bunker Hill, 6/20/21

Post by Chip Down » June 21st, 2021, 8:01 am

Yeah, there are a few little opportunities to get confused in that area. Adds to the fun.

Notice that road 434 offers a Bunker Hill loop. You can walk up that road to its end, then bushwhack up the ridge to the summit, and follow the trail down. My notes show the road is abandoned. Not sure if it's gated. Anyway, if it is drivable, there's very little traffic, so nice for walking.

pdxalex

Re: Bunker Hill, 6/20/21

Post by pdxalex » June 21st, 2021, 8:07 am

I saw your TR from a few years ago and may give it a shot in the future ... when I go out on my own. My family has its limits when it comes to hiking. It would make for a more interesting ascent than the switchbacks.