Rogue Wolf Loop (2021-06-12)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
leiavoia

Rogue Wolf Loop (2021-06-12)

Post by leiavoia » June 16th, 2021, 11:50 am

This trip is new and doesn't have a lot of coverage, so i hope this helps future hikers:

* Sorry for some of the sideways pix. The forum thumbnailer doesn't respect EXIF rotation data.

Date: June 12-15, 2021

Mileage: ~28 Miles

General thoughts:
  • A good early-season loop if you can handle some snow and route finding.
  • Could be done as a hard-going overnight backpack, but for most people probably better as a 3 or even 4 day trip (depends on how long your drive home is).
  • I would file this under "conditioning hike" and not "breathtaking adventure". Scenery wasn't very interesting for most of the loop due to low clouds and fog. The burn zone was actually the best part.
  • You can radically extend this trip by braiding trails on and around the PCT south of the Seven Lakes region. The most obvious option would be to take an extra day on the Devils Peak trail above the lakes.
  • Ticks and mosquitos are present. Take precautions.
  • Gaitors were appreciated but not necessary.
Middle Fork Trailhead to Halifax Trail Junction

IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_1009.JPG

The trail starts in a typical Western forest and opens up into a burn zone after a mile or so. The beginning part of the trail is a bit rocky in places, but generally easy to follow. There are several blowdowns in the burn zone, but nothing that should give the average hiker too much trouble. This area (and subsequent burned areas) have ticks, so take the usual precautions. Views of the river are limited. This section is blanketed with Snowbrush and comes with its characteristic flea-collar scent. Baldhip Roses and butterflies of various kinds were unusually abundant.

The junction with the Halifax trail is very not obvious. It took some scouting on the way in, and i completely missed it on the way out. You should notice that the trail has turned a corner and you can see down the hill to a water crossing and what looks like a possible campsite. Start looking for brushy squirrel trail leading down around this point. The river crossing itself was easy because of logs but even without it would have been easily waded.

There are a few primitive spots right on the water's edge to put a tent down if you want to call it a night. Hammock camping options are limited here but we made it work.

Halifax Trail Junction to Solace Meadow

IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG

This section starts with a very brushy area by the river which will likely drench passerbys with due early in the day. It quickly ascends into continued burn zone on good tread up several switchbacks. This trail is in very good shape. I was expecting much worse.

This stretch had the largest variety of small wildflowers on the entire loop. Specimens include Blue-Eyed Mary, Mahala Mat, Woolly Sunflower, Woodland Star, Star-Flowered Lily of the Valley, Star-Flower, Rose Twisted Stalk, Manzanita, Candy Flower, Larkspur, Spring Beauties, Pussy Ears, Stonecrop, Marsh Marigolds, and Violets.

Solace Meadow to Fawn Spring

IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1117.JPG

The meadow was boggy and buggy when we arrived. This is where the trail starts to get a bit confusing. The trail becomes faint or washed out. A few small cairns help guide those totally lost, but having the GPS was helpful here. I would have marched off in completely the wrong direction. It is recommended to steer around the right side of the meadow and up the hillside afterward.

Everything between the meadow and the top of the hill was burned especially hard. This is a very dry, sunbaked area. Be prepared for total exposure for several miles going uphill.

Fawn Spring had a trickle of water when we were there. This spring is your last opportunity for water until you get down to the Seven Lakes area, so stock up. The spring is easy to miss. It will be an unexplainably green area above the trail.

Fawn Spring to PCT

IMG_1134.JPG

The trail evens out a bit as it continues uphill and will eventually leave the burn zone and reenter the piney woods. The trail here becomes very flat and clear. You can dry-camp an entire army up here.

CAUTION: There is an unsigned junction with a trail leading to a viewpoint on Big Bunchgrass or Bareface Butte (i assume). If you are not paying attention you will keep going straight off the trail. The actual trail makes a sharp turn up the hill. We never found the junction itself. We had to rely on the GPS and bushwack uphill until we found tread again.

This 6000 ft elevation is about where we started seeing snowbanks hiding off in the shadows. These snowbanks would continue all down the PCT and around the Seven Lakes region. It is helpful to have GPS in these parts because it can be easy to lose the trail at times because of faint tread, blowdowns, and random snowbanks.

This is also where the elite mosquitos begin.

PCT to Seven Lakes

IMG_1146.JPG

The PCT, as you would expect, was a welcomed, wide, clear, speedwalking trail compared to what came before. Its also the darkest and most boring stretch of the entire loop. I have this feeling that dedicated PCT thru-hikers are missing most of great scenery in the PNW and i secretly feel sad for them.

I assumed that coming this early in the year would reduce the bug situation somewhat. I was wrong. The mosquitos here are malicious, persistent, and angry. I was not prepared with any kind of spray. I wore a long sleeved shirt and another shirt inside out over my head to keep them out of my ears. A growing swarm of the buggers followed us the entire way down the PCT.

Once you get to the bottom, you have some options of which way to go: The Seven Lakes Trail which goes to Middle Lake and Grass Lake, or stay on the PCT which leads to Cliff and South Lakes. We took the PCT route.

ADVISORY: Cliff Lake, at the time we walked by, had several "no camping" signs in the campsites. I'm not sure if the intention is to prevent camping entirely at this lake, or to keep people off the clear and obvious meadow areas.

Seven Lakes to Middle Fork

IMG_1161.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG

Weather had low clouds, fog, occasional drizzle, and a few sunbreaks in this section. Snowbanks became heavy here and you'll need to switch into kick-step / boot-ski mode as you make your way around this shady Northern side of the hill. No special gear required, but gaitors and poles were appreciated, and the GPS helped correct what might have been several hours going in wrong directions.

We eventually came around to Alta Lake, which i agree with others is the best of the bunch if you want somewhere to spend the night. It's pretty, has easy water access, and campsites are available at both ends and up the hill on the east side. This is a good place to top up on water if you're headed downhill. There may not be any more water sources between here and Middle Fork if you come later in the year. Early in the year, however, there should be several ponds and streams on the way.

Big Pond was full when we were there. In fact the trail ran underwater for a stretch and we had to go wide around.

After this is another wide, flat area. If needed, you could dry-camp anywhere in this region.

The zig-zagging decent down to the river starts off rocky and then becomes increasingly organic, green, and spongy. Blowdown and debris cause some navigational challenges when they are too big to hop over and not enough room to crawl under. This is where you might get very wet if the bushes are loaded with due drops. The actual decent was fairly easy.

Middle Fork to Trailhead

IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1320.JPG

The southern half of the riverside trail is dense and forested. The tread is faint, often squishy, and overgrown with small greens. There are large fields of wild ginger growing here and you will smell it as you walk through.

There are a few camping opportunities along the river in the flatter parts if you are willing to scout a bit and need a place to stop for the night. Water access is available along the river. There were also many small trickles along the way.

The Northern section of this stretch heading towards the Halifax junction re-enters the burn zone. This section has the most severe blowdown and debris on the loop. You'll get a good workout climbing under, over, and around stuff. This is a not a quick jaunt back to the car, so plan your pace accordingly.

Continuing North, miss the Halifax junction again and make a quick jaunt back to the car ;-)

Mission complete.

Don Nelsen

Re: Rogue Wolf Loop (2021-06-12)

Post by Don Nelsen » June 16th, 2021, 1:52 pm

Thanks for the great TR and photos!

This is an area that's intrigued me, partly because of the neat names for many of the peaks in the area. (Devils, Lucifer, Jupiter, Venus) Also, some of the lake names, though mostly a little farther south of the Seven Lakes Basin, are equally interesting. (Tsuga, Donna, No-See-Um, Sonya, Wizzard.)

I think I'll wait out the bugs, though!

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 16th, 2021, 8:54 pm

No-See-Um Lake ... sounds like a great place to visit in, oh, say, November! Those little biting midges were terrible around any watery areas on this trip. I don't usually have an issue with them.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 17th, 2021, 5:37 am

yeah, same here, I was thinking no-see-um lake wasn't such a good destination

I think maybe those are midges that show up right about now. For maybe a month. Maybe the month of July. Small biting flies that aren't deterred by DEET. At 5000 feet elevation or so in the Cascades.

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » June 17th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Nice write-up!!

A few notes.

The trail near Big Bunchgrass / Barefaced Butte .. that is the old 1089A trail. I've almost, but not quite, connected clear through. There's a section of about 200-300 yards where I get off course. I suspect the trail switchbacks in a steep meadow. Other places I can usually find either sawed log ends or remnant groundwork / trail tread. This was abandoned some time before wilderness designation in 1984.

Skeeters - show up usually in mid May and last pretty heavy through July. By the last week or so of August there are some to be seen but not bad. By Labor Day, except in a few bad spots, you don't really need bug mesh to sleep. By then, the yellowjackets are thriving. So .. take your pick.

Water - you mentioned Fawn Spring as last water. This is somewhat true. There are 2 other sources. First, you can hike the 3/4ths of a mile .. fairly flat .. down to Ranger Spring. It is the clearest, coldest water I've ever had. Crazy good!! Or, just a little south of the turnoffs to Ranger Springs (west) and Sevenmile trailhead (east), you go over a small hill and start down. If you go about 150 yards down the hill to where it flattens out, you can then go off trail 200-300 yards to the west and there are some bowls of rock that are filled by springs that last well into summer. Probably not on the official maps. :) And of course there is always Honeymoon Spring which the trail crosses through which can be pretty brackish by end of season .. but it is wet.

Cliff Lake - I don't usually camp there because there are too many people, often larger groups with noisy dogs. It is ok to camp there. Some of the signs should say to stay some distance (200 yards?) from the shore. Basically the area was damaged by too many people camping right on the lake shore. The distance to the jumping / diving rock makes that gravelly shore very attractive. We usually stay down at the camp site by Middle Lake a few hundred yards out the trail to Lake Ivern or up at South Lake to avoid the crowds.

I'm curious ... did you poke around at Solace Meadow? I have been considering heading north from there toward McKee Meadow then NE to the PCT, or out over the trail between Tom Mtn and Jerry Mnt, or over the Mudjewekis (I'm sure I clobberized that one) trail which goes above the rim of the Middle Fork before heading back towards Bessie Shelter / trailhead. Any sort of intel on trails out that way is interesting to me.

Tom
- Tom

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 17th, 2021, 3:26 pm

We only poked around the Meadow to get our bearings. We stayed to the south side and then stayed on course with a documented Rogue Wolf Loop because thats what we were there for. It was also my first time to the area, so didn't want to wonder off too far.

It didn't even realize there was a trail that went north until you just now mentioned it. The trail is burned really hard in this section and the tread, if any, was faint. The upside is that you can see and walk pretty much anywhere because the underbrush was all burned out.

These two images are taken just past the junction up that trail to the north, on the way up the hill to the south/east. You can see its burned pretty good and you can probably just walk cross-country most of the way up even if the trails are gone. It would also be interested in going back to poke around to see whats up there. There are numerous water streams on the map there.
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 17th, 2021, 6:03 pm

retired jerry wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 5:37 am
yeah, same here, I was thinking no-see-um lake wasn't such a good destination

I think maybe those are midges that show up right about now. For maybe a month. Maybe the month of July. Small biting flies that aren't deterred by DEET. At 5000 feet elevation or so in the Cascades.
The midges are bad enough when I've been unlucky enough to run into them - but oh, those mosquitos!!
No see um lake sign.jpg
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller