Monte Cristo

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Grazingllama

Monte Cristo

Post by Grazingllama » June 13th, 2021, 8:11 am

I hiked to the top of Monte Cristo ridge, close to Trout Lake. Views, flowers and big trees abound on this short 4 mile round trip hike, which can be extended to Monte Carlo, another couple of miles which we didn't do. My point in posting is to save you my mistake. Do not follow GOOGLE for directions to the Upper Trailhead. We relied on google at first and ran into recent logging that had made the road impassable for our small SUV. Use the Forest Service instructions and go to Trout Lake, then 3.8 miles northwest of town, turn left on Forest Service Road 38 and continue 5 miles to 86-080 a short road to the trailhead. Park on the side of the road and look for the trail heading sharply uphill, near a post that may have had a sign at some point. Note: Timber sale signs on the other side of the road indicate bad changes to come! We only saw two other parties on a sunny Saturday. (Sorry no pictures, I tried to attach but it didn't work-is there a website help page?)

bobcat

Re: Monte Cristo

Post by bobcat » June 13th, 2021, 9:49 am

Thanks. This is the northern trailhead, right? [i.e. not coming from the south (Monte Carlo)]. Never done it that way myself. Glad to hear the trail is in good shape.

Posting pictures. There is a Discussion Forum Support forum near the bottom of the forums page.

Once you have your text in (and before you click Submit):

1. Find the Attachments tab near the bottom of the page and click.

2. Click Add Files; each file must be less than 2MB but you can upload a whole bunch at the same time if you highlight them.

3. Once photo files are uploaded, click each one in turn on the Place Inline button. The photos will go where you have placed your cursor in the text.

P.S. You can also use the User Test Forum to practice.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » June 13th, 2021, 2:02 pm

The field guide seems to direct drivers to the lower trailhead (southern end) of the #53 Monte Cristo trail at the OH.org Monte Cristo Upper Trailhead page. The USFS directions directs drivers to the northern end of this N/S trail. I couldn't find an OH.org lower trailhead page but the OH.org upper trailhead directions do not agree agree with the USFS directions.

Grazingllama

Post by Grazingllama » July 2nd, 2021, 10:34 pm

Just clarifying that yes, I started at the Upper trailhead. Following the Forest Service directions, it was an easy drive on good roads.