Sedum Ridge / PCT (sans flagging) Jun 10 2021

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
TwoPaw

Sedum Ridge / PCT (sans flagging) Jun 10 2021

Post by TwoPaw » June 10th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Quick report as I did Sedum Ridge/PCT loop following up on my Snag Creek Loop attempt last week.
Main point to note is finding the new TH. First, the blue flagging mentioned in the Field Guide (FG) is nowhere in sight. Best way to find the new TH is to park at the pullout and then walk east until you cross the small creek (may dry up in summer), looking north. There is a clear path rising through the foliage - take this path and you'll soon see the old collapsed bridge on your left.
(More confusion - there is red flagging at the old TH across from the pullout - and I actually went in and walked it until I reached the collapsed bridge - ignore this flagging. This really did look like a lost trail.)
IMG_3264.JPG
new Sedum Ridge TH (sans blue flagging)
IMG_3265.JPG
view of parking area from new TH
Also FG says toll on Bridge of the Gods is $1; now $2.

I'll skip a lot of detail as this has already been written up nicely this spring. Tread is easily visible entire way up to PCT with very little blowdown. Day was grey but mild at the start and I did a nice pace in shorts/T-shirt. Overall, Sedum Ridge is pleasant second growth woods with a few nice finds.
IMG_3260.JPG
berry blooms
IMG_3261.JPG
name that flower
IMG_3256.JPG
a few of these tigers
IMG_3262.JPG
slug fest
IMG_3259.JPG
Later I saw another seminal DNR sign (propped against a tree), crossed into FS land and later reached the junction with PCT. I went the extra steps the up to the junction with FR41 for a quick look. It was now cold with light showers. I knew they wouldn't last but still decided against going up to Mowich Butte and instead returned to the PCT junction and headed down, planning to have lunch at the falls.

It warmed up as I dropped down on the well graded PCT. The falls made a great lunch spot and the PCT from here back to CG2070 is lush and striking, with North Fork of Rock Creek in parallel. I even saw a dark brown newt but pic didn't turn out.
IMG_3263.JPG
from PCT - North Fork Rock Creek debris - this must be something to see when its really flowing

This section of PCT plus the section that continues to CG2000 are in the woods hiking at its best.

Once back at CG2070 I walked this and CG2000 back to the car. This wasn't the slog I was dreading as it parallels stunning Rock Creek. A logging truck passed me by and the driver waved.