Ramona/PCT/Timberline loop -- 05/31/2021

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
smithsummit

Ramona/PCT/Timberline loop -- 05/31/2021

Post by smithsummit » June 1st, 2021, 6:31 pm

HI,

Yesterday I hiked what would normally be one of my favorite lollipop routes; Ramona Falls TH / PCT / Timberline Trail and back down Ramona Falls.
map.jpg

Log crossing for the Sandy River
2.jpg

Evidence of clearing already done since Labor Day
3.jpg

Crossing the lower Muddy Fork
4.jpg

First snow at just over 4,000 feet
5.jpg

There were a fair number of trees down on the climb up to the Timberline trail, but very manageable. Arriving at the Timberline Trail
7.jpg

Getting ready to head down the Timberline Trail cutoff
8.jpg

Snow disappeared not long after the bottom of the Timberline cutoff and the trail was in pretty good shape. Approaching the upper Muddy Fork crossing
11.jpg

Crossing the Muddy Fork was not a problem. I had water shoes with me and only went up to my knees. Snow bridge upstream from the crossing was looking pretty thin. I wasn't alone taking a break
12.jpg

Shortly after Muddy Fork, damage from the Labor Day wind appeared and didn't let up until just short of the Yocum Ridge Trail. I spent several hours moving through this section. At times I was 6-8 feet off the ground climbing over, around and between fallen trees. Walking trunks was sketchy but frequently helpful. There is at least one short, dangerously (and not obviously) unstable slope that's good for a 100+ foot slide down a gully.
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

Toward the end of the damage I encountered the worst conditions. Looking at my path forward
17.jpg

Ramona Falls was lovely there were only two people when I showed up (three more came just before I left)
18.jpg

I would be surprised to see the Muddy Fork to Yocum section of the Timberline Trail cleared this year.

Happy Hiking,

Rob

Chip Down

Re: Ramona/PCT/Timberline loop -- 05/31/2021

Post by Chip Down » June 1st, 2021, 10:07 pm

That bridge pic! I had heard it looks different now. Yep, sure does.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 3rd, 2021, 6:20 am

Is that the bridge that was recently built on the way to Ramona Falls? Wow, that used to be all forested, looks like a bunch of trees fell.

Hmmm... maybe that route between Yocum Ridge and Muddy Fork should be avoided?

Must be nearing time for me to go check it out? :)

kkretz

Post by kkretz » June 8th, 2021, 2:53 pm

NOTICE: Trail #600 from the South Fork of the Muddy Fork to the intersection of the Yocum Ridge trail (#771) is CLOSED due to trail destruction. Downfall across this trail renders this trail impassible. Please do not attempt it. We on search and rescue have just completed our second injury rescue from this downfall area in as many weeks. Both parties were found mid-way through this downfall, which last about ~2mi. If you wish to access Ramona Falls from Top Spur Trailhead, do so by heading South on the PCT down to the Sandy River (Ramon Falls Trail #797). Do not attempt to go from Top Spur through #600 or vice versa. Thank you!

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 8th, 2021, 4:19 pm

kkretz, welcome. Thank you for the work you do. I hope none of the rescue team were injured in the process.

From Elevation Changes blog:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 8th, 2021, 4:25 pm

Deja vu - this is like a few years ago when it was closed due to landslides. Several SAR rescues.

smithsummit

Post by smithsummit » June 15th, 2021, 6:56 pm

Thanks for the update, kkretz. I contacted the folks at Zigzag ranger station yesterday and it sounds like Muddy Fork to Yocum was closed after the last rescue. Ranger said signs are going up now.

--Rob