Ramona Falls 6/1/2021

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
squidvicious

Re: Ramona Falls 6/1/2021

Post by squidvicious » June 2nd, 2021, 2:17 pm

TwoPaw wrote:
June 2nd, 2021, 9:06 am
Leash or no leash, dogs don't really belong in these places, especially Wilderness Areas.
Ironically though that's exactly where they aren't required to be leashed. I'm admittedly not 100% on the rules, partly because I don't have a dog and partly because the USFS doesn't go out of their way to make it clear, but my understanding is on trails within wilderness areas leashes are preferred but not required. Presumably on the assumption that you're not going to be running into a lot of people--not so true these days. I believe that when you're not on the "trail" but stopped in places with other people--eg, Ramona Falls viewing area--the leashes are supposed to go back on. But even when leashes are optional, the one rule I am clear on is the dogs are required to be in sight and under voice command. Which does not mean doing whatever the hell they want to whoever the hell they want while you completely ignore them.

When I pass equestrians or people with dogs on leash, I always warn them if I know they're coming up on an unleashed dog. The equestrians usually just get pissed (about the dogs, not at me), but with the dog people you would not believe how many of them thank me then launch into a gruesome story of how their dog was attacked or killed by an off leash dog the owner insisted was friendly. Happens a horrifying percentage of the time. And the number of times I've been attacked, chased, knocked down, etc myself is ridiculous. This isn't a theoretical issue or somebody's overblown fear, ffs.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 3rd, 2021, 6:37 am

Seems to be that one of the most frequently-violated principles of Leave on Trace is "be considerate of other visitors." Letting your dog harass other people is definitely not being respectful of other people.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 3rd, 2021, 1:21 pm

That's pretty funny Chip. Yeah, on the misbehaved dog owner website they're complaining about people bringing out food to temp their dogs, what do they expect???? :)

Now I'm going to have to go there to check out Sandy crossings - often a challenge. I don't like walking across narrow logs high above water.

Maybe someone will do something to make the crossing easier.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 5th, 2021, 1:29 pm

That's pretty funny Chip. Yeah, on the misbehaved dog owner website they're complaining about people bringing out food to temp their dogs, what do they expect???? :)
There is a misbehaved dog owner website? That's hilarious, sort of.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 5th, 2021, 1:47 pm

I'd like to see the misbehaved dog website

"you won't believe the reaction I got out of that human when I ran at it barking..."