Grassy Knoll, 5/31/2021

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxalex

Grassy Knoll, 5/31/2021

Post by pdxalex » June 1st, 2021, 10:46 am

Long time reader, first time poster.
My wife and I felt like looking for wildflowers but without the crowds. We've already done Hardy Ridge and Cook Hill so Grassy Knoll was next on the list. Memorial Day was beautiful. The road to the trailhead is in very good shape. I've heard rumors of car sized potholes but we saw few potholes of any size. The directions in the field guide were spot on. I was pleased to see that the navigation system in my new Highlander includes all of the Forest Service roads (plus a few roads that don't seem to exist on any map I've seen, which is a little disconcerting). There were 8 cars at the trailhead including ours when we arrived at 10:30 AM but 17 when we left. We ran into 20-25 people and multiple dogs, most of them heading up as we were returning to the car. The trail is in great shape, nothing on it that we couldn't easily step over. We were greeted with flowers from the trailhead meadow to the top of the knoll and beyond including trillium (white and multiple shades of purple), avalanche lily, balsamroot, paintbrush, phlox, and a bunch more that I don't know. I really need to breakdown and buy Ross Jolley's wildflower book. There were a few patches of snow off the trail once you went past the knoll toward Big Huckleberry. Each had little pockets of fresh avalanche lilies. There were a few flies but nothing bothersome. No signs of wildlife other than the occasional raptor soaring below us and birds hiding in the trees, including one that sounds remarkably like my GPS when the batteries need replacing which caused a brief bit of confusion. In sum, it was a gorgeous day. The only unfortunate thing was that Walking Man brewery was not open for our traditional post-hike recovery.
Attachments
3.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
12.jpg
17.jpg
13.jpg
Looking south from the switchbacks up the knoll.

Webfoot

Re: Grassy Knoll, 5/31/2021

Post by Webfoot » June 1st, 2021, 10:50 am

Welcome (to posting) and thanks for the report. :)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 5th, 2021, 2:26 pm

Beautiful flower photos!

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » June 7th, 2021, 4:37 am

Great report, thank you!

Red Bluff Tap house is my go-to if Walking Man isn't open.

http://redblufftaphouse.com/

drm

Post by drm » June 7th, 2021, 6:28 am

Why buy a book when Google Lens (which I just discovered) is available?

Oh, maybe we like books. :D

Or maybe you have an Apple phone. :cry:

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 7th, 2021, 11:21 am

Welcome, Alex!
Indeed, the road is much improved.
I've been meaning to get to Big Huckleberry before it all melts out. I'd better hurry. It might be too late already.

drm wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 6:28 am
Why buy a book when Google Lens (which I just discovered) is available?
Me too, just a couple days ago I was playing around with my new phone, and said "hmm, I wonder what this button does". :D
drm wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 6:28 am
Or maybe you have an Apple phone. :cry:
There's just no helping some people.

reverbhiker

Post by reverbhiker » June 8th, 2021, 8:04 am

We camped at the Big Huckleberry PCT camp last Tuesday and there was a nearby slope with a bit of dirty snow measuring perhaps 20 feet x 10 feet or so, but that was it. I imagine it'll be gone in the next week or two.
Chip Down wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 11:21 am
Welcome, Alex!
Indeed, the road is much improved.
I've been meaning to get to Big Huckleberry before it all melts out. I'd better hurry. It might be too late already.