Little Lookout Mt. from Rock Creek Pass, 052621

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Little Lookout Mt. from Rock Creek Pass, 052621

Post by Don Nelsen » May 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm

Inspired by Jvangelds post about whether there's a viable route from Rock Creek Pass to Road 41, I hiked from the TH at Rock Creek Pass, Road 406, (AKA “Greenleaf Trail” on old maps.) It turns out this is a nice direct route to Road 41, and would be 4WD-drivable most of the way, if you could access it, which you can’t. It looks like it is occasionally used by ATV’s and dirt bikes, but rarely, it appears. 90% of the route passes through old second growth with a short section of old growth about a mile from the south TH. Delightful. There are no clear viewpoints until you pop out of the trees as you start to traverse the east face of Lookout Mt. and there the views are great. The weather was as clear as it can get so the usual suspects, Mt. Hood, Mt. Jefferson and Mt. Adams were out in all their splendor.

The start of the route at Rock Creek Pass:
IMG_2210.JPG
The route splits in a couple hundred feet but rejoins in about a quarter mile. The options are difficult and more difficult, but only for a short way.

Most of the route looks like this:
IMG_2153.JPG
Here's a steep and very rocky section. A half dozen or so spots like this.
IMG_2156.JPG
I continued through the saddle between Lookout Mt. and Little Lookout Mt. and headed east on Road 41. The idea was to ascend Little Lookout Mt. via the east side, which my map said was a higher starting point. (Only 30 feet higher, as it turned out.) Deep snow dissuaded me so back I went to the saddle and went up the west face. It’s not nearly as formidable as it first appears and I enjoyed a flower strewn rocky ridge climb to magnificent views in all directions. After an enjoyable lunch, I headed back, not looking forward to the 530’ of re-climb on the route.

The SW face of Little Lookout Mt. from the saddle:
IMG_2174.JPG
Nice flowers:
IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2188.JPG
Snow blocking road 41 NE of Little Lookout Mt.
IMG_2182.JPG
The rockslide east of Lookout Mt. is a little worse than when I was here a few years ago. Even an ATV might have problems here:
IMG_2170.JPG
This route would be much better were it not for the half dozen or so very steep and rocky sections - and, of course, that 530' re-climb on the way back. But then, it’s all part of the game.

The route is clear of all blowdown, except a couple of recently fallen trees, easily stepped around. Foliage encroaches from the sides, but for a hiker, that's no problem at all. Should I hike this route again, I’ll take clippers and do some proactive trimming.

I saw no one, not even a footprint anywhere, no gunshots in the distance and no noisy dirt bikes or ATV’s. All-in-all, this was as perfect a day in the woods as it gets.

13.0 miles out-and-back, 3003’ EG. Hike # 44

The Map. My hike track in red.
Road 406 052621.jpg
Last edited by Don Nelsen on May 28th, 2021, 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Re: Little Lookout Mt. from Rock Creek Pass, 052621

Post by Webfoot » May 27th, 2021, 8:15 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm
The rockslide east of Lookout Mt. is a little worse than when I was here a few years ago. Even an ATV might have problems here:
IMG_2170.JPG
Which road is that landslide blocking?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 27th, 2021, 8:20 pm

Webfoot wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 8:15 pm
Don Nelsen wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm
IMG_2170.JPG
Which road is that landslide blocking?
Road 406, about 4/10 miles south of the junction with road 41.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 27th, 2021, 10:12 pm

There we go. I saw your snow report, and thought about asking for more details, but I figured a report was coming.

If you're caught up on the snow-level report, you know I was on Lookout that day, so we almost crossed paths again.

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » May 28th, 2021, 8:20 am

Thanks, Don! It is awesome that the route goes through. I intend to go on Memorial Day, though I probably won't make it as far as you did.

The rockslide actually gets me excited. I have dreamed of doing a back-county road work camp out of Fourth of July camp. Of course, the difficult/expensive part of road work up there is finding gravel. But with that pile of rock there we could remove a hazard from road 406, and then use the rock to fill ruts and potholes on road 41. Self-quarried gravel that delivered itself! That might be a Summer 2022 project.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 28th, 2021, 9:19 am

Chip Down wrote:
May 27th, 2021, 10:12 pm
There we go. I saw your snow report, and thought about asking for more details, but I figured a report was coming.

If you're caught up on the snow-level report, you know I was on Lookout that day, so we almost crossed paths again.
Chip,

That's amazing we came so close! I nearly went up Lookout but after thinking about all that extra EG on the way back to my car, decided on Little Lookout instead. Great minds... ;)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 28th, 2021, 9:38 am

jvangeld wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 8:20 am
Thanks, Don! It is awesome that the route goes through. I intend to go on Memorial Day, though I probably won't make it as far as you did.

The rockslide actually gets me excited. I have dreamed of doing a back-county road work camp out of Fourth of July camp. Of course, the difficult/expensive part of road work up there is finding gravel. But with that pile of rock there we could remove a hazard from road 406, and then use the rock to fill ruts and potholes on road 41. Self-quarried gravel that delivered itself! That might be a Summer 2022 project.
There is one small area about 6/10 of a mile south of the rockslide on Road 406 that could use a little attention. I think 4WD could get through but there may be more ruts under the snow I couldn't see. Here's a photo of one of the only two trees across the road and the rutted section. Also, a photo of the rockslide from the other direction. The rest of the road is fine.
IMG_2163.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 28th, 2021, 9:40 am

What a great new route! Will have to follow in the footsteps, etc. etc.

What do you know about the "rudimentary" track on your map? Also, any vestiges of the route that leads down between Deer Creek and Prospector Creek - it gets into clearcuts lower down, I know. There's also another route on the west ridge above Prospector Creek . . .

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 28th, 2021, 10:29 am

bobcat wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 9:40 am
What a great new route! Will have to follow in the footsteps, etc. etc.

What do you know about the "rudimentary" track on your map? Also, any vestiges of the route that leads down between Deer Creek and Prospector Creek - it gets into clearcuts lower down, I know. There's also another route on the west ridge above Prospector Creek . . .
I hiked that "rudimentary" trail in Sept. of 2018 to check out a couple of bumps along the ridge and it's a good route, most of the way. The beginning few hundred feet is not obvious and you'll have to wander around a bit to locate the route. Probably a hunters trail? The west end, up to point 2940 is a bushwhack for the last few hundred feet.

The route between Deer Creek and Prospector Creek is good for hiking, (At least when I hiked it in 2015) probably not even 4wd could get through due to at least one very steep, rutted section but not a problem for ATVs. You could drive a regular car the first mile up from the main road along Deer Creek but it gets rutted with deep potholes after that, then improves most of the rest of the way.

That route north of Prospector Creek shown on the map is on my agenda for later. I've yet to try to find out if its really there.

Here are a few pics I took on the route between Deer and Prospector:
P1020860.JPG
P1020835.JPG
P1020852.JPG
P1020843.JPG
P1020857.JPG

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 28th, 2021, 10:37 am

jvangeld wrote:
May 28th, 2021, 8:20 am
But with that pile of rock there we could remove a hazard from road 406, and then use the rock to fill ruts and potholes on road 41. Self-quarried gravel that delivered itself! That might be a Summer 2022 project.
That's great! My efforts have been limited to small brush removal and I find it hard enough!