Chalk Basin & Coffeepot Crater (Owyhee) 5-17-21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Chalk Basin & Coffeepot Crater (Owyhee) 5-17-21

Post by bobcat » May 24th, 2021, 12:21 pm

(Last report from my car camping trip to the Owyhee.) These two destinations are off on narrow dirt tracks many miles from a highway. The roads were dry, so they wouldn’t have been much of a problem, when driven with care, for any but the lowest-slung vehicles. When it’s wet, however, it’s a different matter – there are several shallow draws to cross and no bridges.

1. Coffeepot Crater

The crater is the only really accessible part of the Jordan Craters complex. The lava flow from Coffeepot Crater is the youngest in the area, at most 3,200 years old, and thus well within the period of human settlement. On the west side of the crater is a black cinder slope, while lava spilled through two breeches on the east side. I walked south along the edge of the lava flow a little way and then back along it, admiring the pahoehoe formations and the plants and lizards that have found a home here. On the northeast side of the crater, a lava runway issues down towards a couple of collapse pits. On the west side, a low ridge of maybe eight or nine spatter cones run along a fissure into the balsamroot hillside.

Profile of Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Mat buckwheat (Eriogonum caespitosum), Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Maw of the crater, Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Edge of the lava flow, Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Side-blotched lizard (Uta stansburiana), Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Hot rock penstemon (Penstemon deustus), Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Pahoehoe up close, Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Cinder slopes, Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Flows at the edge, Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Looking into the cavern, Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Looking up the lava runway, Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Spatter cone and Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg
Line of spatter cones, Coffeepot Crater, Jordan Craters.jpg

2. Chalk Basin

On this one I assiduously followed William L. Sullivan’s directions in his Eastern Oregon guidebook. I camped the night here at Sullivan’s X-shaped junction. On the drive in, I saw two big clouds of dust and thought there must be others driving out, but they turned out to be two herds of mustangs cantering with the wind. On the drive back out, it was small groups of antelope that would race me (not such a challenge, since I was averaging about 20 mph) and then suddenly turn across the road.

Track in a draw, way to Chalk Basin.jpg
Mustangs, road to Chalk Basin.jpg
Camped at Chalk Basin.jpg
Why did the antelope cross the road, way to Chalk Basin.jpg

The next day, I hiked down into Chalk Basin, a large sagebrush bowl with tuff cliffs that look something like the Pillars of Rome, but without the pillars. Down by a wash, there were the remains of a teardrop trailer and a bed, perhaps some old trapper’s retreat when out here harvesting coyotes during the winter. [Edit: Actually probably from the Desert Sunrise claim of the 1980s, which gathered banded "decorative rock" from the area.] Sullivan tells you to walk down the wash, which was running water in places, until you get to the top of a substantial dry waterfall.

Looking over Chalk Basin.jpg
Tufted evening primrose (Oenothera caespitosa), Chalk Basin.jpg
Teardrop in the rabbitbrush, Chalk Basin.jpg
Can tanning, Chalk Basin.jpg
Water in the wash, Chalk Basin.jpg
Club-fruited evening primrose (Chylismia claviformis), Chalk Basin.jpg
Between the gray walls, Chalk Basin.jpg
Looking down the waterfall, Chalk Basin.jpg

I then took a ridge up and over to a tributary wash and followed this out of Chalk Basin to a rim overlooking an unnamed canyon that opens up to the Owyhee River across from Lambert Rocks.
Western prairie-clover (Dalea ornata), Chalk Basin.jpg
Hiking up a wash, Chalk Basin.jpg
The green pillar, Chalk Basin.jpg
Side-blotched lizard (Uta stansburiana), Chalk Basin.jpg
View up Colorful Canyon, Chalk Basin.jpg

This is the real destination of this cross-country loop. There are two white-topped domes on the rim that offer views down and across to an array of hoodoos and columns, many capped by a hard thin tuff layer. From the lower dome, you can see more formations to the north above the river itself. A marvelous vista and, like all my outings in the Owyhee except for those in Leslie Gulch, I had it to myself.

The lower dome, Colorful Canyon, Chalk Basin.jpg
Bowl at Colorful Canyon, Chalk Basin.jpg
Columns above the lower dome, Colorful Canyon, Chalk Basin.jpg
Mars in the Owyhee, Colorful Canyon, Chalk Basin.jpg
View from the lower dome, Colorful Canyon, Chalk Basin.jpg
Formations above the Owyhee, Colorful Canyon, Chalk Basin.jpg
Columns below the lower dome, Colorful Canyon, Chalk Basin.jpg

Then it was a question of hiking back to my car, which I could see from a high point, across the sagebrush. Steens Mountain was low on the horizon and still displaying substantial snow. A couple of leopard lizards froze in portrait pose. The day was still quite young when I, with a little regret that I hadn’t planned a longer trip, motored back to the highway.

View to the upper dome, Colorful Canyon, Chalk Basin.jpg
Steens Mountain view, Colorful Canyon, Chalk Basin.jpg
Deer in a gulch, Chalk Basin.jpg
Long-nosed leopard lizard (Gambelia wislizenii), Chalk Basin.jpg

Charley

Re: Chalk Basin & Coffeepot Crater (Owyhee) 5-17-21

Post by Charley » May 24th, 2021, 1:38 pm

What a weird and magical place. Thanks for the reports!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.