Succor Creek Area (Owyhee) 5-15-21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Succor Creek Area (Owyhee) 5-15-21

Post by bobcat » May 21st, 2021, 8:16 am

I got dispensation to take the family Subaru on a five-day trip to the Owyhee area, camping at the state park down in Succor Creek Canyon the first couple of nights. (You can camp almost anywhere, but the plateau is windy and shadeless, and the canyon holds the added ambience of a babbling brook.)

1. Succor Creek Canyon

In the morning, I hiked up to get elevated views from the eastern rim of the rhyolite crenellations, pinnacles, and columns across the canyon. Many of the caves you see are actually old zeolite prospects. I crossed Trimbly Creek, which has carved a very brushy slot canyon to meet Succor Creek near the campground. Hiking south along the rim, I started looking for a way down so I could loop back along the creek. Above the very narrow upper canyon, I slid down a steep bunchgrass slope and discovered a keyhole through which I emerged at the canyon bottom. From there, though, I had to follow a rough cow trail through thickets of poison ivy, startling a couple of rattlesnakes along the way. The creek has carved a passageway under the cliffs in a couple of spots. Soon enough, I was back at the campground, which is situated at one end of a broad sagebrush flat.

Trimbly slot canyon, Succor Creek.jpg
View to Succor Creek Road, Succor Creek.jpg
Tufted evening primrose (Oenothera caespitosa), Succor Creek.jpg
Crossing of Trimbly Creek, Succor Creek.jpg
View to west side of the canyon, Succor Creek.jpg
Arrowleaf balsamroot, Succor Creek.jpg
Looking down on the canyon from above, Succor Creek.jpg
Showy penstemon (Penstemon speciosus), Succor Creek.jpg
Upper canyon, Succor Creek.jpg
Escape tunnel in the rock, Upper Succor Creek.jpg
Poison ivy, Upper Succor Creek.jpg
The creek in the upper canyon, Upper Succor Creek.jpg

2. Carlton Canyon – Painted Canyon Loop

This nine-mile loop is often touted as the marquee hike/bushwhack of the Owyhee. I drove tracks west of Succor Creek to a cattle trough near the head of Carlton Canyon. The two trucks already parked there were still there when I got back, so their occupants must have backpacked down Carlton to Benchley Flat on Lake Owyhee. The descent/ascent of Carlton and Painted canyons can be divided into the same three segments: (1) the upper canyon of rolling sagebrush/bunchgrass hills; (2) a shorter central section where the canyon steps down rapidly in a series of dry waterfalls that need to be climbed or detoured; (3) a lower section of towering rhyolite formations and honeycombs (pockmarked chemical weathering of the rhyolite also known as tafoni). The Carlton waterfalls required care, but there were a couple going up Painted Canyon that were even sketchier. Both canyons exhibit impressive formations although, in the middle of the day, there was little shade. (Plenty of water should be taken and sunscreen needs to be liberally slathered; the windy plateau seems to be 10 degrees cooler than the actual temperature, while the canyon bottoms feel 15 degrees warmer.) It being spring, there were blooms aplenty, my best find perhaps the Owyhee clover (Trifolium owyheense), native only to a small part of Malheur County and an even smaller sliver of Owyhee County in Idaho.

Trailhead, Carlton Canyon.jpg
Spurred lupine (Lupinus arbustus), Carlton Canyon.jpg
The draw in the upper part of Carlton Canyon.jpg
Desert paintbrush (Castilleja chromosa), Carlton Canyon.jpg
Spires at the palisades, Carlton Canyon.jpg
Above a dry waterfall at the palisades, Carlton Canyon.jpg
Blue on phacelia, Carlton Canyon.jpg
Spiny hopsage, Carlton Canyon.jpg
White-stemmed globemallow (Sphaeralcea munroana), Carlton Canyon.jpg
The gate to Painted Canyon.jpg
Colorful column, Painted Canyon.jpg
Honeycombs, Painted Canyon.jpg
The sheer wall, Painted Canyon.jpg
Looking back at the big wall, Painted Canyon.jpg
Waterfall with pothole, Painted Canyon.jpg
Owyhee clover (Trifolium owyheense), Painted Canyon.jpg

3. Three Fingers Rock

The Three Fingers Rock presents its inviting profile along the drive to Carlton Canyon, so on the way back I parked in the open steppe and hiked up a rubbly jeep road to its base. Then I made my way around the north side of the formation and scrambled up between First and Second Finger. There are summit registers on First Finger, and the views take in a broad expanse of the Owyhee Plateau, with Lake Owyhee to the west and the broad plains of western Idaho to the east.

Lupine expanse and Three Fingers Rock, McIntyre Springs Road.jpg
View to the Subaru and McIntyre Ridge, Three Fingers Rock.jpg
View to Sage Creek, Three Fingers Rock.jpg
Western fence lizard (Sceloporus occidentalis), Three Fingers Rock.jpg
Between First and Second Finger, Three Fingers Rock.jpg
Summit register, Three Fingers Rock.jpg
View south from Three Fingers Rock.jpg

leiavoia

Re: Succor Creek Area (Owyhee) 5-15-21

Post by leiavoia » May 21st, 2021, 3:01 pm

Thanks for posting this. This has been on my list of places to go for too long now.

What was the weather like while you were there?

How were road conditions (for a subaru outback) ?

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » May 22nd, 2021, 6:25 am

Way cool report on an area I've long dreamed about. :D :D

Thanks for the 'intelligence'.

Burnside
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 22nd, 2021, 7:21 am

leiavoia wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 3:01 pm
What was the weather like while you were there?

How were road conditions (for a subaru outback) ?
I took a Subaru Forester with normal street tires. All the roads were fine. Succor Creek Road is good gravel. The dirt tracks were generally good, some lurching rocky sections, and the parts which become sucking quagmires when it rains had become rutted concrete. (I did notice, however, that the only other vehicles using these tracks were trucks with 20" clearance and Side-by-side ATVs, not that there was much traffic on the side tracks at all.)

I picked a sweet spot with the weather. It hadn't rained in a while and highs were 75º - 80º (although rather warm at the bottoms of the canyons). If you go there when it's been wet, you'll need to bring boards or other paraphernalia just in case.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 22nd, 2021, 2:00 pm

I took my Toyota Yaris down there a few weeks ago. No problem with the main roads (Succor Creek, Leslie Gulch, McBride Creek, the south end of McIntyre Springs), but I didn't think I should mess with the smaller tracks. Some trailhead directions send you on Camp Kettle Creek Road, but I thought that one looked too nasty for my tiny car.

dwilkinsboise

Post by dwilkinsboise » June 4th, 2022, 7:52 am

Thanks for the posting - we're planning to head there for a few nights and this is very useful. Quick question - I've heard that the eastside campsites are tent only? Is that correct? We have a basecamp and wondered if we could camp on that side of the creek.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 4th, 2022, 8:20 am

dwilkinsboise wrote:
June 4th, 2022, 7:52 am
Quick question - I've heard that the eastside campsites are tent only? Is that correct? We have a basecamp and wondered if we could camp on that side of the creek.
I don't think there are any specific restrictions. ALL of the sites are primitive and not well-defined.

And keep in mind that you can camp pretty much anywhere you want out there. Staying in the park just gives you access to a toilet and picnic tables.

dwilkinsboise

Post by dwilkinsboise » June 4th, 2022, 9:51 am

Thank you!

drm

Post by drm » June 4th, 2022, 3:26 pm

Wow - Succor Creek Canyon SP is a really remote spot, and look at all those cars there. I hope that was the holiday weekend!
Last edited by drm on June 5th, 2022, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 4th, 2022, 5:45 pm

drm wrote:
June 4th, 2022, 3:26 pm
Wow - Succor Creek Canyon SP is a really remote spot, and look at all those cars there. I hope that was the holiday weekend!
It seems remote to us, but it's about the same distance from Boise as Mt. Hood is from Portland.